Spirit D&BC Looking for a Tuba Player

Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps is currently looking for a tuba player to fill a spot due to injury.

If interested please email Dr. Ramon Vasquez (vasqurf@auburn.edu) as soon as possible.

Don't miss out.

Dr. V.

I have a 16 yo son who is a top athlete and a very good trumpet player, but not a tuba player. If I could talk him into it I'd send him down to you and he could learn tuba! The problem is he's says he's not ready for drum corps, and he doesn't see a future for himself in marching band or corps at this point. I think he rebelling against "dad" and trying to make his own path, but that's another discussion.

If you don't mind me saying so Dr. V, your drum corps credentials are very impressive, your legit music credentials even more so. In what capacity do you work with Spirit?

Edited by wvu80

If you don't mind me saying so Dr. V, your drum corps credentials are very impressive, your legit music credentials even more so. In what capacity do you work with Spirit?

Dr. V is the Brass Caption Head.

Dr. V is an incredible teacher.

Our son is marching his third year with Spirit, and he was telling us this past weekend what an absolute joy it is to be in Dr. V's hornline. As he put it, "he makes every rehearsal fun."

Knowing how absolutely grueling alldays (or spring training, or move-ins, or whatever you want to call them) can be, that's pretty tall praise.

If you're a tuba player and you want to take advantage of the chance of a lifetime, and have a summer that you'll remember forever, go for it!

I have a 16 yo son who is a top athlete and a very good trumpet player, but not a tuba player. If I could talk him into it I'd send him down to you and he could learn tuba! The problem is he's says he's not ready for drum corps, and he doesn't see a future for himself in marching band or corps at this point. I think he rebelling against "dad" and trying to make his own path, but that's another discussion.

Spirit is a fine organization and Dr. V. is one of the best hands down. I will advise you however to make sure your son is completely sure he would want to do the activity. Drum corps isn't a cakewalk and it takes complete dedication in order to suceed. I have found that if you're unsure you'll like the activity, then parhaps you should hold off and wait. The good thing is that your son is still young and has the potential still to march severval years in the future, so the fact you have found this activity at his young age is very beneficial. As far as switching from trumpet to tuba, I did the same thing when I was younger and the hardest thing, aside from holding and marching the contra, is getting the breath support needed to get a good full sound. Dr. V. utilizes some of the best techniques needed to acheive the high expectations. After playing trumpet, playing high notes comes pretty easily on tuba.

Good luck to you, your son, Dr. V., and Spirit!

Spirit is a fine organization and Dr. V. is one of the best hands down. I will advise you however to make sure your son is completely sure he would want to do the activity.

Wonderful advice, thanks. I agree completely.

I exposed him to drum corps (actually, I expose him to everything, sports, music, corps, etc.) and after that, I told him the only way I allow him to march corps is if he would rather march than eat, because of exactly what you said; if you don't love it, it's just too tough to do on a "not sure" basis.

Drum corps isn't a cakewalk and it takes complete dedication in order to succeed. I have found that if you're unsure you'll like the activity, then perhaps you should hold off and wait. The good thing is that your son is still young and has the potential still to march several years in the future, so the fact you have found this activity at his young age is very beneficial. As far as switching from trumpet to tuba, I did the same thing when I was younger and the hardest thing, aside from holding and marching the contra, is getting the breath support needed to get a good full sound. Dr. V. utilizes some of the best techniques needed to achieve the high expectations. After playing trumpet, playing high notes comes pretty easily on tuba.

Good luck to you, your son, Dr. V., and Spirit!

Thanks for your post, and for the heads-up on Dr. V. I can assure you who wins DCI is not my criteria for picking a corps for my son, instead I want to expose him to world class people, because those are the kind of people who will help him be successful in life, no matter what he does.

Thanks to everybody for the kind replies. Dr. V sounds like exactly the kind of person I want my son to march for, if and when he wants to go for it. I'll be right behind him all the way supporting, but not pushing.

Edited by wvu80

Thanks for your post, and for the heads-up on Dr. V. I can assure you who wins DCI is not my criteria for picking a corps for my son, instead I want to expose him to world class people, because those are the kind of people who will help him be successful in life, no matter what he does.

Thanks to everybody for the kind replies. Dr. V sounds like exactly the kind of person I want my son to march for, if and when he wants to go for it. I'll be right behind him all the way supporting, but not pushing.

Amen :lol: