how old?!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the oldest age you've seen someone march in an all-age corps? i'm curious

Well, what do you mean by "march"? Do you mean be on the field (a la pit or A guard)? Or do you mean actually move around the field? And by all-age, you're meaning DCA-types, not alumni corps. (Ken "Ace" Peterson is in his 80's with Mighty St. Joe's Alumni, Riggie Laus is around 80 with Steel City Ambassadors Alumni.)

Harvey Olderman, I believe, was 81 with the CT Hurcs in 1981, but he was in the A guard. In 1999, in talking with Kilties, I seem to recall they had four generations of one family in the corps (the great-grandfather was in A guard too).

If Tom Meek is still on the field with Brigs this season, he's 60+ (61? - Someone can confirm that fact.) Same with Bill Hoyt at Cru. But, I'm sure there have been older guys.

I've marched with many people in their 50's on the field, all brass players. I think perc and guard are for younger folks.

We'll see what the record is when Bill Hoyt stops marching...

We'll see what the record is when Bill Hoyt stops marching...

Bill's goal is to break Harvey's record, straight from the horse's mouth.

IIRC Doug Orser was well into his 60's when he was still on the field with Grenadiers. Marching and playing soprano. Not a sideline stander at all!

Well i know of many of the shriners still marching in their 90's

what could be better 90 years old in 90 deg weather, with some 90 proof !

91 years young - Albert Ronca from Roseto, Pa. Albert marched with, until last winter, several drum corps, community bands, etc. He still did do taps at this year's Roseto memorial day services. There are also several guys well into their 70's with the Emmaus Sentinels and still moving and playing like youngsters!

Harvey Olderman. Connecticut Hurricanes legend. Google him for more information.

Harvey. I loved that guy. I exchanged a few letters with him back in the '80s. What a gentleman! :blink: