Renegades Chinese New Year Parade

Martybucs

The open invitation that Renegades puts out to march with them in San Francisco's Chinese New Year parade makes me think of some unusual situations and how they deal with it. I'd like to see if I could do it, if it's available next year and then visit the many relatives we have in the area.

First off, how is the response? Do you get many out of towners joining in?

Do they have the music down? Do they all want to play lead parts? Do you end up unbalanced because of this?

What instrument is most favored in response, i.e. trumpet or bugle?

Which voicing, i.e. do you get mostly trumpets or mellos, etc.?

Do you think other corps should try this out with big local parades or shows?

Would you guys travel to New York for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if there was a corps in it that offered? Or any other city for that matter.

Just wondering, mostly about hornline stuff, but if any percussion and guard wander in, feel free to comment.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The open invitation that Renegades puts out to march with them in San Francisco's Chinese New Year parade makes me think of some unusual situations and how they deal with it. I'd like to see if I could do it, if it's available next year and then visit the many relatives we have in the area.

Do they have the music down? Do they all want to play lead parts? Do you end up unbalanced because of this?

Would you guys travel to New York for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if there was a corps in it that offered? Or any other city for that matter.

Just wondering, mostly about hornline stuff, but if any percussion and guard wander in, feel free to comment.

Macy's All Stars 1994 was certainly a test in endurance...(getting back to the Hotel just in time for Last Call for example) kicked my butt....BUT...yea...I'd give it another shot. Kudo's to Larry Herschman and Tony (Joey Bag-O-Donuts) DiCarlo for the experience. :thumbup:

........me and the boys did this gig once,.........the visiters had music in advance, and sorta slotted themselves I guess, but not to sure on that,.........I filled in on bass 3 as their main dude couldn't make the gig,.........tons of fun, it was loud, and all good!

I'd love to do that gig if we can ever get CNY to fall other than on my family's winter vacation week.

For answers to all your questions, wait for Chris Nalls to get on here after the weekend. I'm sure he can fill in all the blanks.

I think there are number of corps that do this sort of thing - Gulf Coast Sound being one of them.

Edited by G-horns

Martybucs asked:

>First off, how is the response? Do you get many out of towners joining in?

Usually half the group is from out of town (50-75)

>Do they have the music down? Do they all want to play lead parts? Do you end up unbalanced because of this?

Yes. No. Not really.

>What instrument is most favored in response, i.e. trumpet or bugle?

Bugle, but we have whatever parts are needed.

>Which voicing, i.e. do you get mostly trumpets or mellos, etc.?

Pretty good mix, actually.

>Do you think other corps should try this out with big local parades or shows?

Sure - one source of inspiration for this was Gulf Coast Sound's Mardi Gras extravaganza

>Would you guys travel to New York for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if there was a corps in it that offered?

>Or any other city for that matter.

We get more people from close than from across country. I don't usually march the parade, but I would love to come to NY!!!

header.jpg Edited by randomnoise

For guard stuff, most of the folks who have choreographed flag work for the CNY parade have been smart enough to realize that in a parade, your audience changes like every 3 seconds, so pick about 4 counts of 8 and repeat it. May not be very "exciting" to the performer, but no one in the audience will know the difference, and it's really easy to learn and make look good the day of the parade. And alot of times, we'll make the work A & B work. (Meaning Side A does it the first 4 or 8 counts, then side B repeats it) and the folks who are still a little shaky and unsure can be in group B, that way they see the work and get reminded of what comes next....makes them feel a little bit more comfortable. Also, with YouTube, we can put the video of the work online and people can get a leg up on the work before they get out here.

It's fun. I wish more corps did this.