Renegades Chinese New Year Parade

Martybucs

Gulf Coast Sound being one of them.

we did this one also,............the last time we went about 12 Thunderbirds made the trip,..................GREAT time at Mardi Gras!,.................a bunch of us also went to the Daytona Beach Christmas Parade as the guests of Heat Wave,..........now they were some gracious hosts! Vic and the corps outdid themselves! If my memory serves correctly, this was the first senior corps to organize an all-star event of this type,............

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daytona Beach Christmas Parade as the guests of Heat Wave

My husband and I did Daytona too in 1996 and 1997. Lots of fun! Heat Wave people were very gracious. In 1997 at Daytona, 2 contras from Bayou City Blues invited us to do the Mardi Gras parade but we never were able to get down there. I would love to do it sometime before I'm too old!

My husband and I did Daytona too in 1996 and 1997. Lots of fun! Heat Wave people were very gracious. In 1997 at Daytona, 2 contras from Bayou City Blues invited us to do the Mardi Gras parade but we never were able to get down there. I would love to do it sometime before I'm too old!

The two contras would have to be Mike Predmore and Jim (can't remember Jim's last name). S.M.U.T charter members. Last I knew, Mike was with Cabs Alumni. (Now there's a cummute....Galveston to Hawthorne) Great guys. You HAD to have met (God rest his soul) POOPSIE :tongue:

Edited by melligene

We should invite people to come march with Bucs Alumni Corps for the Hamburg, King Frost Parade.

Nah, I don't think you could get people to travel to march a parade that has "FROST" in the name.

Just throw in some low temperature valve oil and beers at the Hamburg VFW. You'll have to beat them off with a stick.

We should invite people to come march with Bucs Alumni Corps for the Hamburg, King Frost Parade.

Nah, I don't think you could get people to travel to march a parade that has "FROST" in the name.

Hey after the "Mid-Winter Festival" parade in Pottsville, the word "Frost" seems almost balmy. :tongue:

Hard part is getting folks for the "Tour de Baltimore" in a week and a half.... :thumbup:

Edit: Memory of guy ordering a whiskey at the bar and using it to grease the piston on his sop (with the bar counter being used as a table). Bartender starts going balistic and guys muttering "Ain;t gonna ####### freeze up THIS year". :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hey after the "Mid-Winter Festival" parade in Pottsville, the word "Frost" seems almost balmy. :laugh:

Hard part is getting folks for the "Tour de Baltimore" in a week and a half.... :biggrin:

Edit: Memory of guy ordering a whiskey at the bar and using it to grease the piston on his sop (with the bar counter being used as a table). Bartender starts going balistic and guys muttering "Ain;t gonna ####### freeze up THIS year". :lol:

That always cracks me up. It's not the valve oil that freezes. It's the moisture, from the air, that you blow into the horn...all the valve oil, kerosene and whiskey in the world won't prevent that. And what a terrible waste of whiskey - hope it was Seagram's.

Now the, "Tour de Baltimore" in a week and a half". You have to explain, in the interest of full disclosure, that it is a week and a half of parades, but in ONE day!

That always cracks me up. It's not the valve oil that freezes. It's the moisture, from the air, that you blow into the horn...all the valve oil, kerosene and whiskey in the world won't prevent that. And what a terrible waste of whiskey - hope it was Seagram's.

One year the valves were freezing as we were playing. And like idiots we were blowing warm air thru the horn to get the valve moving again. Yeah, worked great until the air cooled off and *pffffft* #### NOT AGAIN.... :lol:

Must have been the year people were watching the parade thru the front windows from the inside. Every now and then you'd hear a door open and someone yell "Play Something!"...

Now the, "Tour de Baltimore" in a week and a half". You have to explain, in the interest of full disclosure, that it is a week and a half of parades, but in ONE day!

:laugh: Well I get to "only" do Dundalk and Towson on the 4th and Havre de Grace the next day. So for me it's two days, then a week or so to quit hurting. :biggrin:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

The two contras would have to be Mike Predmore and Jim (can't remember Jim's last name). S.M.U.T charter members. Last I knew, Mike was with Cabs Alumni. (Now there's a cummute....Galveston to Hawthorne) Great guys. You HAD to have met (God rest his soul) POOPSIE :biggrin:

Jim's last name is Sarbeck and Mike was with Cabs Alumni last year. Don't know about this year. He was with Brigs for awhile in early 2000s. Yeah, that's quite a commute!

I don't recall meeting a POOPSIE. I would definitely remember that name!!! Mike & Jim stayed at our hotel and we had some amazing parties that are still unrivaled! :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking we may do this next year, 2009. My wife seems interested, (both her sisters and their families live close by), and she's thinking about picking up the soprano again to join in the fun.

However, if everything keeps going way up in price, we'll have to reconsider.