How will the 150 member limit impact that activity?

We're seeing the same effect in the lower corps, and simply labeling it with another cause. If the hundreds of potential members who don't make the auditions at top corps decide not to go anywhere else, whose fault is that? If they were given more information "Hey, though you've been cut, you should try out for... "

Given the near universal access to the internet for school kids and the fact that audition information must generally be obtained by visiting the web sites of corps, how many kids who audition with a corps and get cut are unaware of performance opportunities with lesser ranked corps (if they are interested in "plan b")? We are far removed from the days of relying on Drum Corps World and word of mouth.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guys sound as if you are blaming the top corps for continually putting out an excellent, magnetic product. I hate to say it, but that is the nature of the beast. If you are not producing high caliber shows, then people are going to go elsewhere for that type of show.

Well it's hard not to blame Mr. Hopkins (as well as the other 16 who voted in favor). Of course, he initiated this. I could have guessed as much. It won't hurt the Cadets, so why not? I'm sorry, but this is going to impact the bottom corps in a negative way, any way you look at it. The number of corps on the field decreases each and ever year. Of course, I have always thought a majority want to march with the top corps - for their chance to win a ring! Mark my words, this is going to really suck for the lower tier corps - as now it is even going to be harder for them to move up the ranks. But, the Cadets are already way up there, so why not George? Is that man ever going to go away?

Edited by gellio

Does it make sense to keep increasing the size limit of corps when the number of corps overall is decreasing, and expect the activity as we know it to remain healthy?

Increasing the size of corps is good if you’re a top-tier corps, but not-so-much for everybody else. The rich get richer and the poor, poorer. Who is going to want to join a local in-state corps if they can join one of the perennial DCI contenders? The local in-state corps are how drum corps began. If you eliminate them by making it attractive to go somewhere else what will we have left?

Soon it won’t make sense to have DCI prelims; go straight to Finals because there will only be seven, or eight, 225 member corps. Then the argument to allow woodwinds in drum corps will grow even stronger because “they” will point to the need for more members to be allowed into the activity.

It is very transparent to me.

Edited by greggmanX-Kingsmen

Another George Hopkins splendid idea. Funny thing is, that Cadets are looking for a few spots to fill . :angry: