Lesser Known Corps

I am interested in marching with a Drum Corps next summer (2009) and a lot of the corps I'm considering are some of the lesser known corps, like the Colts or the Blue Stars. I've been a fan of these corps for a long time and actually have a few friends who are on tour with them right now.

I would have no issue marching with these corps despite the fact that they may not be "top 6" (who knows, though... they both are looking good this season), or anything like that. For me, the experience is what matters much more than if you win or not. And also, I know that no matter where I march it is going to be better than anything I had experienced in High School. I would have no problem sticking with either of these corps until my age-out year.

My fear, however, is that while I have the mindset of "experience over placement", a lot of people I may encounter and become great friends with during my first season would be at that corp just to get their foot in the door and would, in the following years, move up to the bigger corps, which may not be that great for me seeing many of the people I marched with moving on while I stay put.

Should this even be a concern for me, or should I just try out this winter where I want to be, and not even worry about anything else?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should this even be a concern for me, or should I just try out this winter where I want to be, and not even worry about anything else?

I say you shouldn't even worry about it... despite people going to different corps, we are a fairly small community, and friends will stay friends for the most part. You may not march next to your friend every single day the next summer... but you'll keep in touch (i'd hope) and have interaction with them at shows (which is a cool experience in itself)

Also, if you make friends that are older than you, you'll have to deal with losing them when they age out anyway :angry:

While these corps aren't in the "top 6", they are storied, established corps with rich histories!!

I'd find another expression than "lesser known".

I am interested in marching with a Drum Corps next summer (2009) and a lot of the corps I'm considering are some of the lesser known corps, like the Colts or the Blue Stars. I've been a fan of these corps for a long time and actually have a few friends who are on tour with them right now.

I would have no issue marching with these corps despite the fact that they may not be "top 6" (who knows, though... they both are looking good this season), or anything like that. For me, the experience is what matters much more than if you win or not. And also, I know that no matter where I march it is going to be better than anything I had experienced in High School. I would have no problem sticking with either of these corps until my age-out year.

My fear, however, is that while I have the mindset of "experience over placement", a lot of people I may encounter and become great friends with during my first season would be at that corp just to get their foot in the door and would, in the following years, move up to the bigger corps, which may not be that great for me seeing many of the people I marched with moving on while I stay put.

Ohhhhh, I feel old. Blue Stars "lesser known".....! They almost beat us in finals in 1972.

Anyway, good luck and may you get to march with whomever you choose.

I can definitely vouch for the Colts. They will ALL become your friends. So if some kids age-out or move on, you will have plenty more people to buddy with. My advice to you, as a mom, would be to follow your heart. If you want a great experience and a learniing opportunity, not only about music but about life (Director Greg Orwoll has my vote as the best of both) then the Colts are for you. They take the very best care of their corps, and make sure you have everything you need from band-aids to the best food in DCI. I'm sure the same is more than likely true for the Blue Stars, but I have had no experience with them. Good luck!

I suppose "lesser known" was a bad term to put on it. My sincerest apologies! I guess its just my generation.

And thanks for the advice so far, I definitely think I will learn a lot, no matter where I go.

Edited by Dylan Ford

You should definitely not let the opportunity pass you by. So I took 8 years to get that 4-year degree. The 3 summers of drum corps were WORTH IT!!! :angry:

I wouldn't call them "lesser known". They both have long and respected histories in drum corps.

Ohhhhh, I feel old. Blue Stars "lesser known".....! They almost beat us in finals in 1972.

Anyway, good luck and may you get to march with whomever you choose.

I was just going to say!! Blue Stars "lesser known?" They almost WON DCI in 1972 and were an awesome corps all through the '70's. However, I completely know that was along time ago now, so absolutely no problem the OP is asking his question. The Colts, too, have been around for a looooooooooooong time and are another great organization. They had a winter guard back in the 70's as well that were always a top contender. 1976 to 1979 are my favorite Blue Stars years.

Either organization would be a great one to join...

Is it too late to re name your thread?

THIS IS SOME OF BLUE STARS HISTORY (they have made finals more times then STAR)

10th

7th

5th

9th

5th

9th

2nd

3rd

12th

5th

9th

6th