1988 Suncoast Sound

would a corps in 2008 be able to place, say, in the top 5 if they were to perform that show?

I'm sure it's been talked about on here, or maybe not, but I was watching my 88 vids last night and came across this show. First of all, what a difference in movement in drills from 1984 (one of my favorite years to watch) and 1988. The constant movement, the flowing drills, backward (and fast) marching.

That's it, if anyone has their own say, I'd like to hear.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would a corps in 2008 be able to place, say, in the top 5 if they were to perform that show?

I'm sure it's been talked about on here, or maybe not, but I was watching my 88 vids last night and came across this show. First of all, what a difference in movement in drills from 1984 (one of my favorite years to watch) and 1988. The constant movement, the flowing drills, backward (and fast) marching.

That's it, if anyone has their own say, I'd like to hear.

Depends what you mean... Are you saying would they place there if they performed the EXACT show, music, drill, guard and percussion? I don't know. Even though the drill was pretty crazy for the time (and VERY hard to march) I don't know that it stands up to the drills of today. I know nothing about percussion, so can't contribute. BUT, from a horn and guard book, I say that the right corps could pull it off and place well. I do know that we were WAYYY ahead of our time with that show.

Of course what do I know? The show only placed 10th originally, so who knows (I still maintain that it's the best 10th place show ever...ya, I am a homer!)

tho it is truly one of my all-time favorite drum corps shows, I don't think it could compete as is.

Musically? yes. Visually? yes in color guard, no in drill.

Ahead of its time? OH YEAH

Great show.One my favs also.I think it could compete if it had a door. :rolleyes:

Great show.One my favs also.I think it could compete if it had a door. :thumbup:

We sure it didn't have a door? It had everything else.

We sure it didn't have a door? It had everything else.

Nah, no door. Trust me, those boxes were enough of a PITA to deal with all summer!

:thumbup:

We even had a "box crew". :smile:

I have only just watched this show on the Legacy DVD's which i am sure do it no justice. From a performance perspective I feel they were screwed and should have placed higher, but I am no judge! As an aside, did Suncoast Sound develop from the Largo Band of Gold? I remember seeing them in maybe 77/78 at the World Music Championships in Kerkrade Holland.

Edited by freakyswotboy

I have only just watched this show on the Legacy DVD's which i am sure do it no justice. From a performance perspective I feel they were screwed and should have placed higher, but I am no judge! As an aside, did Suncoast Sound develop from the Largo Band of Gold? I remember seeing them in maybe 77/78 at the World Music Championships in Kerkrade Holland.

Yes, they did.

Truth be told - I didn't "get" this show in 88 - I didn't enjoy it at all.......but in the last few years I have listened to this show MANY times and wish I could go back, sit on the 50 and enjoy it live. I don't know about it being ahead of it's time, but I know I was not ready for it yet. I think this is an amazing musical book and have it loaded on my "best of" collection. The shows from 84, 85, 86, & 88 were just on another level - a different direction - but "oh so good"!! :laughing: