Modesto Fever

Errrrraaaaaaaaaaa.......

Thanks for clearing that up friend, but that doesn't make it an acceptable practice, either. Didn't the corps have an itinerary (or at least a clue) as to how each member was planning to get home? Even if they didn't, I can't imagine a corps administrator telling a member it's OK to beg for change to make the 3000+ mile trek back to CA.

I've gotta go, Manny's beating up my secretary.

yes, we did have a pretty detailed itinerary. and, i seriously doubt that ANYONE would have given them permission to do that. even then, what's worse: a couple kids from a corps run out of money and ask for change from people, or the entire corps hasta find their own way home (which i heard of more than once happening. we gave a ride to Colby (tenor I&E champ in 07) a ride in 06)?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, we did have a pretty detailed itinerary. and, i seriously doubt that ANYONE would have given them permission to do that. even then, what's worse: a couple kids from a corps run out of money and ask for change from people, or the entire corps hasta find their own way home (which i heard of more than once happening. we gave a ride to Colby (tenor I&E champ in 07) a ride in 06)?

Actually... don't mean to be picking at scabs... but it was the corps director who organized the members being at the gates and in the souvenir area asking for money, if memory serves. The only reason I know this is because I asked the souvenir people what was going on. They told me that they didn't have enough cash to pay the bus bill home, so they were hoping to raise some additional funds by asking for support from drum corps fans. This wasn't simply about a few kids looking for money for pop and chips for the ride home.

But, that's water under the bridge. The most important thing right now, IMHO, is to focus on keeping the future intact for all of the corps who are brave enough to continue to operate in these uncertain financial times. Hopefully, a few smart people will help to guide the activity so we don't lose any additional great drum corps. :thumbup:

Actually... don't mean to be picking at scabs... but it was the corps director who organized the members being at the gates and in the souvenir area asking for money, if memory serves. The only reason I know this is because I asked the souvenir people what was going on. They told me that they didn't have enough cash to pay the bus bill home, so they were hoping to raise some additional funds by asking for support from drum corps fans. This wasn't simply about a few kids looking for money for pop and chips for the ride home.

Wow....I seriously question that statement. You are putting peoples integrity on the line with comments like the one written above. If you cannot cite names and provide details about your conversation with the 'souvenir people' then it's best to avoid making such inflammatory commentary. If you can, please do so.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but for the leadership of any organization (including boosters on tour) to put kids out on the corner with a cup in their hands would be reprehensible. You can see by my signature that I've been around drum corps for a while. I have NEVER seen anything like that happen. A few kids with poor judgement maybe, but on an organizational level...never.

Wow....I seriously question that statement. You are putting peoples integrity on the line with comments like the one written above. If you cannot cite names and provide details about your conversation with the 'souvenir people' then it's best to avoid making such inflammatory commentary. If you can, please do so.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but for the leadership of any organization (including boosters on tour) to put kids out on the corner with a cup in their hands would be reprehensible. You can see by my signature that I've been around drum corps for a while. I have NEVER seen anything like that happen. A few kids with poor judgement maybe, but on an organizational level...never.

Trust me, I'm not the only one (by far) who knows about this. Search back in the archives... it was discussed then, and there are still some folks talking about it now. It was pretty common knowledge and was the topic of much discussion in Brockton.

But, that's water under the bridge. The most important thing right now, IMHO, is to focus on keeping the future intact for all of the corps who are brave enough to continue to operate in these uncertain financial times. Hopefully, a few smart people will help to guide the activity so we don't lose any additional great drum corps. :tongue:

Wow I'm really glad you know more about the corps itinerary than the guy who was in the corps. :tongue:

Trust me, I'm not the only one (by far) who knows about this. Search back in the archives... it was discussed then, and there are still some folks talking about it now. It was pretty common knowledge and was the topic of much discussion in Brockton.

I fully recollect those discussions. I passed it off as a few kids wanting some extra bucks to buy souvies...very poor judgement. That type of behavior is damaging to the individuals self respect and puts a very negative impression on the corps with which they are affiliated. However, that is a FAR cry from your assertion that the corps management put them up to it to support a bus ride home.

It's probably not a good idea to simply accept as truth something you read that has no substantiating information. Again, if you can cite names and provide details regarding your conversation with the souvenir people, please do so (anyone else with other than hearsay, feel free to put you two cents in as well). Otherwise, I respectfully ask you to discontinue making statements that are personally damaging to FEVER's management.

Corps directors have enough to worry about making sure that the hundreds of kids they deal with every year are cared for properly. Unsubstantiated allegations don't make that job any easier. It certainly doesn't help them try to get back on the field next year either.

I loved Fever in '05... that was a great season! :-)

thanks! although, i thought we were much better this past year.

i really hope the organization can come back next year, but if not, then i hope it comes back as soon as possible...