Pasadena, CA - July 4th

Great photos, and what a crowd. Nice field too :thumbup:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a couple of things.

1. No hash marks again

2. The crowd was tilted, meaning the middle seemed to be in the corner, yet, the corps was playing on a regularly set up field.

Nice pics!

I must say that DCI did great adding more corps to this event. I bet that this made the trip out west all worth it for Phantom Regiment. Would be cool to see even more corps (maybe a show of 8 corps), in the future.

I hope the corps had a great day selling merchandise. I would think that they would, even to non-drum corps fans.

DCI got this one 110% correct! :thumbup:

I noticed a couple of things.

1. No hash marks again

2. The crowd was tilted, meaning the middle seemed to be in the corner, yet, the corps was playing on a regularly set up field.

There were hash marks on the field. It was a clearly painted field and the grass seemed to be in great shape.

The crowd was set up for the fireworks, which were launched from behind the opposite side of the stadium. This was not a drum corps show. It was a community Fourth of July event with drum corps.

The (non drum corps) crowd did seem to enjoy all of the performances. And I also noticed (in addition to Phantom's standing O) that the crowd clapped for the Devils' colorguard as the entered the tunnel to exit the field.

It was a great night of drum corps!

Pacific Crest was quite "artsy" in their presentation yet quite accessable.

The Academy reminded me of an "old school" Garfield Cadets approach to what they do. A "thinking man's" corps as they said in the day.

Vanguard was "the Vanguard" that we know and love from years past. Intricate, intense, classy and very entertaining.

Phantom Regiment's performance level was a pleasure to watch. This corps is bring Spartacus to life on the field.

The Blue Devils are showing us that they can do anything they want and do it well! This show is "just wierd enough" that it keeps you guessing but it also entertains.

Nice job to all.

Hey Derrick! There you are man! Long time no see!

Thanks for the additional notes. You have such a well-rounded perspective. :thumbup:

Great shows that night!!! It kind of ticked me off that their was wayyyyy too many people chatting and walking around during corps performances. :thumbup:

my favorite part of the night was the hawkers throwing peanuts during shows!! that you will never see anywhere else these days at a dci show.

i recorded the mass encore, although it is from the "good seats" on the 50 yard line. as you can see in the picture, the brass players faced the non drum corp fans in the end zone. regardless, if you are interested in hearing it, let me know.

It kind of ticked me off that their was wayyyyy too many people chatting and walking around during corps performances. :thumbup:

I know. Me too. But hey, at least they were there watching and getting a taste of what it's all about, even if we had to "sacrifice" some silence.

And I still didn't like the buzzing lights or the cramped seats. If this was a true drum corps show, I'd have preferred another venue. I'm still disappointed that the Rose Bowl was Californias' ambassador to the World Championships. There are so many stadiums that are better, but I'm sure DCI did the best they could.

I know. Me too. But hey, at least they were there watching and getting a taste of what it's all about, even if we had to "sacrifice" some silence.

And I still didn't like the buzzing lights or the cramped seats. If this was a true drum corps show, I'd have preferred another venue. I'm still disappointed that the Rose Bowl was Californias' ambassador to the World Championships. There are so many stadiums that are better, but I'm sure DCI did the best they could.

True to that. I was at finals last year and couldn't stand the horrible lighting. I was a little disappointed with the Rose Bowl, considering it was my first time there. I think they chose it because of it's popularity and location.

Overall, I think it was a great day, and I hope DCI continues to participate annually. A few things:

I wish the corps would have been warming up closer to the stadium. I'm sure they would have drawn a crowd, even from the "potential" corps fans. Having the BD drumline inside was cool.

No "Vanguard" Yell, but during Pacific Crest show in a moment of silence I heard "Kettle Korn!"

I was dismayed to see Pacific Crest setup for their encore completely facing the end zone. So much for the DCI preferred seating. While the rest of the corps performed to the front right corner, its not the same as receiving the sound head-on of course. However, I am sure this was done to try to keep the fireworks crowd entertained until the "real" show.

The mass performance of "America the Beautiful" still sounded pretty dang good at an angle. I took a low quality video of it. One might find it on a popular video site if they were to search for "July 4th DCI Rose Bowl Mass Performance"

This is a great event. If I were emperor of earth the fireworks would be launched from the lot behind the back 50 so the stands could be filled correctly - also, I'd have a full retreat with the flags and majors front and center. As a warm up, since they only do it once, but also as a neat way to reinforce the patriotic aspect of the tradition of the activity.

Otherwise, kick a!