• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO review

White Sabers - not bad for the first show, didn't expect that sound from the bottom section. Not a bad show, just needs work and you'll be in the running for class A. They just need to get more relaxed (first show jitters), and build up the stamina for the ending, otherwise, nice show.

Crusaders - smaller then expected and not as loud as last year. Nice guard, although small, they sure do work out there. Congrats. Hornline not bad, just need some 'umph' out there. At times it sounded like the corps was bored with their own music, but can get better with time. Drum line was their hit of the night. They looked like they were there to win, they have that 'attitude' which was nice to see. Keep up the good work and things will improve. Drum line might be the savior to get you into the finals.

Caballeros - first show jitters?? Shouldn't be, that's there 3rd show. M&M was weak in spots, really surprised at the recaps on this one. The style seems to be lacking in the marching, and some seemed very un easy out there. But not the music. Fine show. Horn line was nice and powerful (to be expected), and you could hear most of the different voices, which is always nice. Guard was great too. I did notice the runs in the hornline were all played at a standstill, but sounded nice were I was sitting (way out on the 20 yard line). Even without penalties they would have won the show, but that was debateable (to some). I liked the outcome and the show. Oh the drumline has that sttitude also, they really looked and sounded great, especially in the drum solo. Nice job.

Brigadiers - much smaller than anticipated, but, still had a nice show. Too many people talking around me to hear everything and was very annoyed at that and really couldn't get a good read on their show. Sorry, but people ticked me off. Looks like you did well though, and this was the only corps that didn't look like they had 1st show jitters. Congrats to you!

Empire - 1st show jitters for sure, but what an entertaining show. Maybe it was the hometown crowd thingy, but boy, did they entertain. That's one show you can finally say, " I enjoyed that music", and really mean it. I actually remember what they played. Thank you! The vocals in My Way was actually in harmony, nice job with that. But its the color pre ending that seemed to really work the crowd. Big company front and then they sped it up with a fast ending that brought the crowd to its feet before they were even done with their show, now THAT's what I call drum corps at its best. Goose bump city for the first time tonight. Color guard needs work (as does the M&M), and i'm sure they will clean it all up before long. If they do clean it right, there will be no stopping this crowd pleasing show. Drumline was nice, but nothing spectacular. They didn't seem to be a 'team' tonight. Sorry.

Aumni show - brought the house down. If you are not a fan of Empire, you couldn't help but be one this night. They played some of the old Empire music that was pretty good with the regular corps helping out (thank heavens)...we saw one mellophone player out there without a mouthpiece (what's up with that?). The patriotic tunes at the end were the best I've ever heard of that song Yankee Doodle. And talk about loud???? Couldn't be beat! What an ending to a great show. Thank you Empire for this show, enjoyed by EVERYONE in attendence, even those that got turned away at the gate that had to watch from the sides.

Thanks again, can't wait for the Boston Shwo!!

TOPSOPS,

That Mellophone player without a mouthpiece had one,

but gave his up (no chops..)...to a very late entry who

could still play with the best of them. I know, because that was me.

The show was open to all Statesmen Alumni so I thought

I'd attempt something stupid like trying to play after not playing

in many many years. I had about 5 notes in me, and 4 of them

were bad!..........LOL. Glad you enjoyed the show. I know Mr. B

had a smile that reached from ear to ear.

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Shea

Thanks very much for the kind words about the drum line :)

I was just checking out the pics. and saw that the Cabs guard had changed their uniforms.

The psychedelic (ninja) uniforms they started the season with have been changed, for uniforms

that totally blend in with the rest of the corps.

They don't pop/ stand out, like the other unis.

I'm not saying this is good or bad. I just hadn't figured out what the concept was behind the original uniforms.

I would imagine the kids are probably happy to have their mouths uncovered. That couldn't have been comfortable.

I was just checking out the pics. and saw that the Cabs guard had changed their uniforms.

The psychedelic (ninja) uniforms they started the season with have been changed, for uniforms

that totally blend in with the rest of the corps.

They don't pop/ stand out, like the other unis.

I'm not saying this is good or bad. I just hadn't figured out what the concept was behind the original uniforms.

I would imagine the kids are probably happy to have their mouths uncovered. That couldn't have been comfortable.

Yeah, like I said in another thread, I was looking forward to seeing those ninja unis and how they worked with the whole show concept. I was really disappointed to see they changed it!

But, it all works well without the costumes, so I am curious to know what was the idea behind the first unis and, if it made sens originally to spend money for them then why not stick to it for the whole season? Was it too uncomfortable for the members? Was it part of a bigger idea (props, images) that can't make it onto the field?

I am just curious... no matter what the Cabs guard is really good! (in my non-guard person opinion :ph34r: )