Need Help finding a Database

I was just wondering if any one knew of a good database that I can use for the Americanos Alumni Assocation.

Over the Years rosters have walked out the door and we are going to use our new Website build a database. I am looking for one that I can use to interface it with the website at very little or no cost. Our site is currently still underconstruction as we gather media and other information to put on the site. The projected plan for the launch of the site is August 1st.

Our site will be for Former members, Staff Members, Board members, Volunteers and Fans.

If you know of a database please let me know.

If you are interested in the progress of the Alumni Association please feel free to PM me or email canos_alumni@hotmail.com.

We are always looking for new ideas!

As always,

VIVA!

Sean

Americanos Alumni Association

It depends on how much technical skill you have, also what your web provider can accomodate.

MySQL is a very good choice if your web host on a Unix/Linux platform and you've got some decent sql programming chops. A LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) platform is a very good choice for such an implementation.

If you don't have programming skills, something like Filemaker or Access might be a good choice ... But they costs and you will need support from your ISP to make the web connection happen.

My suggestion, make friends with a nerd and go the LAMP route.

my corp(s) uses Corpsdata

http://trigonroad.com/cd/

info@trigonroad.com

hope this helps!

You might also check out A Small Orange. Very reasonable hosting fees and MySQL/PHP all included as well as many of the latest content management systems and many other bells and whistles - all included. I've been happy with them.

my corp(s) uses Corpsdata

http://trigonroad.com/cd/

info@trigonroad.com

hope this helps!

I took a look at their terms of use ... It appears that in exchange for using their system, along with what ever other software rental charges might be involved, they get to use your data for pretty much whatever they like!

A corps' name & address database is one of the most valuable things it owns. On the surface, Corpsdata looks like you are basically giving trigonroad both access and rights to your data ... Unless there's an underlying confidentiality agreement, this doesn't seem like a sound strategy for information security.

I took a look at their terms of use ... It appears that in exchange for using their system, along with what ever other software rental charges might be involved, they get to use your data for pretty much whatever they like!

A corps' name & address database is one of the most valuable things it owns. On the surface, Corpsdata looks like you are basically giving trigonroad both access and rights to your data ... Unless there's an underlying confidentiality agreement, this doesn't seem like a sound strategy for information security.

We actually have a corps data account and because the americanos don't compete it is free. the only problem that we are having is the fact that the americanos have a lot of websites as it is eventually we would like our site to be a central location. problem 2 is that we have a big older generation so the less websites the better.

I use LittleOak hosting, and they have a nice control panel to make the installation of various types of software very easy. A small orange is also a good provider.

There are a couple approaches you can take. Someone mentioned the LAMP concept, but just having MySQL installed won't get you a usable database until you build something, and unless you are a programmer yourself, or, you have a significant amount of money "rolling your own" is not the way to go. If you want something that has the basics already built in, and is relatively easy to setup and use, you might want to consider installing a CMS (content management system) like Drupal or Joomla, to manage not only the site but use its built in member database to keep track of your members and build a community. Further, the CMS actually is the site, so you can really leverage all the work the programmers have put in to build the CMS.

I would not try to bolt a database onto an existing static Website. You may have already done a bunch of work trying to get a static site working, but, in my professional opinion, it will be easier to:

* see if your ISP already has a control panel and can install either Drupal or Joomla. If they don't, it might be faster to just get a LittleOak account. In a control panel at a typical ISP, it takes literally 30 mins or less to set up most software. Very easy.

* get Drupal or Joomla set up, and see if either of them have a decent "theme" or "skin" that you like. I would say, go for "stock" themes first, then work on customizing it later.

* set up the security so that certain users are editors / moderators, and test those vs regular users and even anonymous visitors.

* see which system allows you to have, for example, custom attributes on users, or, user pages and the like, to make the experience better.

* pick one system and stick with it. Make sure you are backing up the db, and most CMSs have some kind of method for that. Check into it, and do it without fail, backing up to your local hard disk, AND a USB stick, AND CD-ROM etc.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Rick

Edited by RickCogley

FYI -

Drupal - http://www.drupal.org

Joomla - http://www.joomla.org

Regards

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Shaun,

The website that you guys used that I did should have had all if not most of the alumni listed, even if only by name. I may have the original website but I didn’t know where it might be and if it's on a floppy, eegads I'm in trouble. Also you might want to go down to the Canos offices. There was a computer I used, not the new HP or Dell but slightly older. On this computer should be the whole database that I did because I would have entered all the info in first and then just copy the info to the website.

Short of those two suggestions there is always the mounds of paperwork that had this info. One really old spreadsheet in particular, from the 80's plus odds and ends here and there.

I know this doesn't answer your original inquiry but maybe it will help get some of that lost info back so you don't have to start from scratch. Other than that you could always ask Greg what they use. I'm sure it cost quite a bit but boy did that program do just about everything!

PS - You should get on bringing all those old videos to the digital age. You'd be amazed. I remember seeing old film from the 60's and maybe the 50's, with other corps also like the Cadets and Cavies, one was in Soldier Field maybe, they might not have had sound though. I think its great what you and Nick are doing and wish you the best!