Dissension in today's ranks.

The fact is that the innovators all want to 'win' the DCI Championship, so their "artistic vision" still conforms to the time limits of a drum corps show. What if a corps felt that their artistic vision would take 25 minutes to perform and who cares about the scores? I think that would be a more honest indicator (and certainly not the only one) of innovation for the pursuit of artistic vision. But that's not the debate we are having.

Another thought is why not musical innovation? Most of the DCI corps of today now sound cookie cutter similar with an emphasis on Western music and the same kinds of delivery based upon various sections "riffing' or soloing at various points. How about a show based upon African, Indian or Arab folk music? That corps could be introducing new music, cultural awareness, and new instrumentation within the drum corps medium.

*ah-CHOOmandarinsOO!*

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, I was talking with someone yesterday about certain of the changes. I realized that I could easily contradict myself on this subject . . .

1. I was talking about how none of the guards at the recent show had uniforms even similar to the rest of the corps - and I missed that; especially for the "rifle line." Then, are there even rifle lines today, it seems like just change of equipment from flag to rifle to whatever. But then, I said, you know it's funny, I liked it when Bridgemen did it, I guess it's just that ALL of the corps are doing it . . .

2. I mentioned that I didn't recognize any of the tunes, but then I said, of course I had never heard: Channel 1 suite before Blue Devils, Sabre dance before Freelancers, Appalachian Spring before Vanguard - and now if I hear those tunes, I immediately think of those corps and the respective shows . . . they created their own place of recognition in my mind.

3. I missed some of the flashy precision (is that self contradicting?) of yesteryear, but can appreciate the difficulty of what they are doing today.

4. As I said previously, I am not a fan of talking, singing, whatever on the field except for the drum major, but that I appreciated Garfield for the Amen, and that I even liked "I am Spartacus." If used judiciously . . .

4. I am not sure I am contradicting myself here, but there is a certain sound I associate with specific corps, and when I don't hear it . . . To me, none of the corps that I heard at the recent show had the "signature" sound that I remember - and I am not just talking about G horns, but the style of music. That said, 30 years is a long time, and one would expect some transition.

It doesn't change that I prefer the power, precision, military bearing, regulations on field usage etc. But, I do think it's interesting.

What I do worry about is how far will it go.

Edited by jdostie

It's funny, I was talking with someone yesterday about certain of the changes. I realized that I could easily contradict myself on this subject . . .

1. I was talking about how none of the guards at the recent show had uniforms even similar to the rest of the corps - and I missed that; especially for the "rifle line." Then, are there even rifle lines today, it seems like just change of equipment from flag to rifle to whatever. But then, I said, you know it's funny, I liked it when Bridgemen did it, I guess it's just that ALL of the corps are doing it . . .

2. I mentioned that I didn't recognize any of the tunes, but then I said, of course I had never heard: Channel 1 suite before Blue Devils, Sabre dance before Freelancers, Appalachian Spring before Vanguard - and now if I hear those tunes, I immediately think of those corps and the respective shows . . . they created their own place of recognition in my mind.

3. I missed some of the flashy precision (is that self contradicting?) of yesteryear, but can appreciate the difficulty of what they are doing today.

4. As I said previously, I am not a fan of talking, singing, whatever on the field except for the drum major, but that I appreciated Garfield for the Amen, and that I even liked "I am Spartacus." If used judiciously . . .

4. I am not sure I am contradicting myself here, but there is a certain sound I associate with specific corps, and when I don't hear it . . . To me, none of the corps that I heard at the recent show had the "signature" sound that I remember - and I am not just talking about G horns, but the style of music. That said, 30 years is a long time, and one would expect some transition.

It doesn't change that I prefer the power, precision, military bearing, regulations on field usage etc. But, I do think it's interesting.

What I do worry about is how far will it go.

What you're describing is usually referred to as schema. It's how you relate to things, based on how you have learned to experience them in the past or how they've been accurately described to you. It is the sum of your expectations for an event or thing.

That's a pretty simple explanation, but it's the reason why such discussions as this, take place.