Juniors in the Grand Prix lineup

The Grand Prix lineup is one of the best of the year.

Just looking at the dance card, the fans will get variety, entertainment and value.

The Championship lineup is sensational on its own merit (Bucs, Hurcs, Cabs, Empire, Bush, Fusion) and the local alumni corps (Bridgemen, Park City, Sky, Cabs) will not only entertain, but will put even more fannies in seats.

Now, the Raiders and Jersey Surf had a choice for the weekend:

(A) drive 4 hours to do a DCI show in Springfield, MA with a sub-par lineup (please hold your letters) at a small high school stadium, or

(B) sleep in their own beds, do some laundry, drive 9 miles to the show (Raiders) and give mom and dad a chance to see a local performance in front of a packed house.

The choice looks pretty simple. The Grand Prix makes for a great experience and might be one of the highlights of the year for the local junior kids. In fact, the crowd at Clifton will likely be larger (and more appreciative) than the crowd at DCI D2/3 Prelims or Finals.

Here's the question: if it's July 12th (middle of the contest season), there are other corps in your division present and you have a panel of adjudicators on site prepared to offer an opinion, isn't that a formula for a "contest" rather than an "exhibition"?

IMO, the Grand Prix Junior Championship would be a title worth competing for and celebrating. Let's give 'em a number!

(PS I don't want to hear about big, bad DCI and "sanctioned" this or "approved" that. If DCI gave 'em a better alternative, they'd have gone there)

One might wonder if the kids in both corps wouldn't welcome the opportunity to go out and lay down their shows in exhibition, without having to worry about judges.

BITD, that was always a lot of fun for us ...

One might wonder if the kids in both corps wouldn't welcome the opportunity to go out and lay down their shows in exhibition, without having to worry about judges.

BITD, that was always a lot of fun for us ...

Hadn't considered that....

....now that you mention it....

Plus you get the reverse situation of when Senior corps go to DCI shows -- judges adjudicating on unfamiliar sheets and with unfamiliar rules. And this being mid-season, if the scores are "off" compared to DCI scores, it's possible that they will affect the corps back in DCI for the rest of the season.

Gee, seems like a no-brainer for me - Big crowd, close to home, no pressure.

And, since in my little world it's all about me, a chance for ME to see them :ph34r:

(Don't get me wrong - I've attended quite a few 2 & 3/now "Open Class" shows - It's just that not many other people do)

wishbonecav said:

"IMO, the Grand Prix Junior Championship would be a title worth competing for and celebrating. Let's give 'em a number!"

It's an interesting idea, one I think most fans would applaud, but possibly with too many logistical problems to iron out.

As a point of information: The first Grand Prix in 1965 was a combined junior and senior show, and I believe 1966 was also. I'm not sure if any were after that. In 1969, the first year in Clifton, it was a junior contest only, and seniors/All Age since 1970.

Just wondering out loud here: How was the judging handled in those 'pre-DCI' days? I'm guessing the same slate did both juniors and seniors? I wonder if the sheets were different. The Dream was always both juniors and seniors. I don't know how that was handled either, but I'm guessing it became problematical with the advent of DCI.

Cabs were not yet DCA members in '65, but we had joined by '66. Legion rules and sheets were the norm for most senior shows prior to DCA's formation, but I don't know about juniors. I'm guessing from '66 on, it was a DCA 'sanctioned' contest (except '69, of course). Anyone who can shed light on all this?

It was under American Legion rules,

We have talked about a Jr. / All Age show and hope to make it a realty in the future.

Al's right (as usual).

Back in the day, most of the East Coast juniors were judged under American Legion rules. I think Midwest used VFW rules for the most part. In addition, the judges were not necessarily dedicated to one circuit. Most corps circuits allowed judges from different judging associations. I know that Greater NY Circuit allowed Metro AA and National. I'm guessing that there may have been a third one, but can't remember.

It was under American Legion rules,

We have talked about a Jr. / All Age show and hope to make it a realty in the future.

And if Garfield and Boston both showed up for that, everybody wins.

A little Grand Prix trivia:

According to the CorpsReps.com scores archive, both the 1965 and 1966 Grand Prix contests were combined junior/senior shows. The Rochester Crusaders won both senior shows, while the Bridgeport PAL won the first Grand Prix, and St. Lucy's Cadets won the 1966 contest.

If memory serves me correctly, Blessed Sacrament won the juniors-only contest in 1969, the last Junior Grand Prix Champion, and the first in Clifton. Prior to that, the show was in Paterson's Hinchliffe Stadium, 1965 through 1968.