Cadets explain the 2008 narration

OK - Time for George Hopkins to quit. Period!!! He's screwing up those fantastic musicians chance to excel. What a shame!

Not to derail the thread, but this is a funny comment coming from a Scouts fan. Cadets will be fighting for a spot in the top three, Scouts will be fighting for a spot in semi-finals........who is having their chance to excel screwed up????

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I said it was a shame -- maybe the shame is ours ....

Actually, I think most do express themselves well on here -- there are a small percentage of usual suspects on both sides of the argument that hijack any thread that even remotely touches on the Cadets or narration or whatever and quickly overwhelms and devolves any decent, constructive conversation into the same, repeated, circular nonsense. I'm smart enough to ignore that crap and stick to the topic. I understand that Mr. Hopkins may not feel it's worth it and that's fair. I just think it's unfortunate (for him and for us), because I think there is lots of good stuff that we could learn and enjoy from each other.

Think about it, it's fair for Hopkins to feel the way he does, and make comments about DCP but is it not fair for people to make comments about Cadets or Hopkins ?

Yes, I agree, it goes way too far at times and I'm guilty of that, but this is SO tame compared to early newsgroups which Hopkins was active on.

When ANYONE steps in front of a crowd and either tells them what to do or tries to make them think a certain way, they open themselves up to redicule. We only remember the very few who should have NOT been ridiculed, those who made it into the history books.

Those who try to force people into accepting certain ideas or thoughts are usually hailed or mocked by minorities while everyone else stands around looking confused.

Don't believe it ? Look at out election.

Besides the diehards on either side, are the rest of us really happy that these two are what we have to choose between ? I hope not.

I commend Hopkins for stepping out in front, now take it like a grown up no matter how many childish people are in the seats.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice

Talk about reading 20 pages on DCP and show trash being put into the dumpster ? :ph34r::ph34r:

George, many people will never see through your BS.

Many of us do.

Hope you toss and turn all night !

Simple, constructive criticism is fine. Making someone lose sleep at night is not. That was seriously uncalled for.

Not to derail the thread, but this is a funny comment coming from a Scouts fan. Cadets will be fighting for a spot in the top three, Scouts will be fighting for a spot in semi-finals........who is having their chance to excel screwed up????

So being in one of the most storied corps' that is currently battling for finals is somehow messing up their chance to excel? Or how about participation in drum corps in general? Both of the comments are in bad taste and it is truly amazing that there is so much vitriol pointing at organizations whose sole purpose is to allow groups of kids to work their behinds off to give all of us a good show.

OK - Time for George Hopkins to quit. Period!!! He's screwing up those fantastic musicians chance to excel. What a shame!

The musicians are excelling. The musicians are who puts the Cadets into one of the top spots almost every year. George Hopkins is actually a very smart man and teaches a lot to the kids, and for that, I respect him. George Hopkins is not ruining the musicians' chance to excel. If anyone is ruining their chance, it is all the hateful people on this forum that live off of bashing the Cadets and making George lose sleep, because I'm sure that all of this bashing really hurts some of them......

Think about it, it's fair for Hopkins to feel the way he does, and make comments about DCP but is it not fair for people to make comments about Cadets or Hopkins ?

Never said that -- I choose my words very carefully so please don't read something into my meaning that isn't there ...

What I said was that it was a shame that he thinks coming on here was a "mistake". Is that our problem or his or both? Never said anything about fair on one side and unfair on the other or right or wrong, just that is unfortunate (imo) that EVERY SINGLE thread that even remotely touches on the Cadets gets hijacked into the same argument. I never said that threads shouldn't exist for those sentiments or that they're not fair or even justified. Just that if some constructive conversation could remain untainted, then Mr. Hopkins and others may find and appreciate the true value that is here. On the flipside, maybe Mr. Hopkins and others could look past some of that stuff to not "throw the baby out with the bathwater," so to speak. Somewhere in the middle is probably the best answer and I think it is a shame (not unfair or even wrong, necessarily) that we're not closer.

Edited by Liam

Simple, constructive criticism is fine. Making someone lose sleep at night is not. That was seriously uncalled for.

So was showing the dumpster while talking about DCP.

Wishing someone to lose sleep is all that bad ?

No offense but WOW, I wished I lived in your world of bunnies, hearts and flowers, can you give me directions ?

If people are not losing sleep over the problems with Iran, Iraq, gas prices, inflation and food prices, I doubt anything I say will make them lose any sleep.

But thanks for making me feel much more important than I am :ph34r:

The musicians are excelling. The musicians are who puts the Cadets into one of the top spots almost every year. George Hopkins is actually a very smart man and teaches a lot to the kids, and for that, I respect him. George Hopkins is not ruining the musicians' chance to excel. If anyone is ruining their chance, it is all the hateful people on this forum that live off of bashing the Cadets and making George lose sleep, because I'm sure that all of this bashing really hurts some of them......

I agree with you.....unfortunately my comment does direct negativity towards another group. But I find it funny how people who bash the Cadets/Hopkins get so overly offended when someone says anything that might be negative towards another group.....I just wanted to point that out.

So George was wrong when he talking about the kids in the Cadets went there knowing what they were in for ?

What flavor is the Kool Aid this year ?

:ph34r:

Edited by The Other Mike