Cadets explain the 2008 narration

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound guy?

:ph34r:

Edited by skajerk

There would be plenty of people griping if he did that.

probably...just like Bush is blamed for everything from the price of gas to (alleged) global warming.

Pssst..................it's called EST ......EST mental midgets

I think they call it "The Forum" now ... and yes, Hopkins did go through that in the mid-late '80s.

Individuals who have completed that training were deemed, back then, to be a security risk by the government. (Not kidding.)

probably...just like Bush is blamed for everything from the price of gas to (alleged) global warming.

You mean he isn't responsible for all those things? Man, I had it all wrong.

"I cleaned up the script and cut it down to three pages."

I stopped watching after that.

"I cleaned up the script and cut it down to three pages."

I laughed on the inside at that... That really was funny.

Excellent video, and I think it reveals a lot about what the corps is trying to accomplish.

So George Hopkins' view is that a drum corps show should tell a story. Well, that's cool, and we have seen shows that really have told a story, by using the music, drill, and color guard... The options that are the foundation of a drum corps show.

I think where his vision becomes volatile is when he starts delving into stories that are a bit too sophisticated to tell without the use of voice. Unfortunately, the voice in his recent shows tend to upstage the actions of the rest of the corps, which is truly what we, as fans, pay to see. That's where the Cadets run into trouble.

It's not theater, where the people and the characters and the story are the main concerns... It's drum corps, where the music and visual augmentation of the music are what form the fundamental entertainment value of a show. I respect Mr. Hopkins for trying to push the envelope, but by upstaging the basic points of a drum corps show with ineffective and uninteresting narration, it's only hurting the Cadets in terms of entertaining an audience.

I think you make a very good point about this, and by the way I am glad to see that this post has actually turned into a good discussion and not just a bash GH session.

I watched the video too. I think it's well done and I think Mr. Hopkins has some excellent ideas and explanations for this show. I personally like this show better than last year, but last year I was highly critical of the narration (certainly not the corps).

I believe that your point and Bawker's posts are probably right on and the reason why MOST fans don't find the show appealing, even somewhat uncomfortable. Bawker mentioned that until someone really tells a story using narration as the main device, and does it so convincingly that the fans just love it and can't get enough, that the chances of this ever being accepted are very small. And he is right.

This is why I maintain that, unlike the 80s when the Cadets were copied and for good reason, what they are trying now is not going to be copied until it actually is successful--which is why their changes in the 80s were copied! They were successful, but not just from a judging standpoint. They were successful at bringing the fans in.

Now, I personally don't feel every corps has to please every fan. It doesn't work that way, and as the Bill Cosby quote says so well, and I paraphrase, it is easy to fail when you try to please everyone. Sometimes a corps and their creative staff have to follow their hearts. Believe it or not their are kids who want to march these shows. They are the minority, just as I am in the minority as someone who likes the show. But there is a place for us in DCI. Now if everyone were copying an unsuccessful formula then sure, we have a problem. But as it stands now, I see a lot of good things happening in drum corps, and a lot of nice shows out there this year that appeal to the masses. It is going to be an exciting ride to the finish line with all these competitive corps. Clearly, most corps out there are not copying what the Cadets are doing because the Cadets have yet to be truly successful with it.

So as much as I like their show this year, I can see what most people don't like. I understand that. But it's just one show, and that's not so bad.

Now, as for your comment about what works in the musical theater (Broadway) vs. what works on the field when dealing with the staging, lighting, costuming, closeness of the audience vs. a large field, the intimacy, and so on, well I think you are exactly right. And this was my point last year in some discussions. I believe that Mr. Hopkins is looking to see if that connection between dialog, music, acting, staging and small setups, and perhaps even lighting at some point can work outdoors. I believe that what he wants is a cross between what we see in Broadway and with a SuperBowl halftime show.

I don't have a problem with him exploring this, and it is his and his corps' right to do so. And as I have said, others will not follow until it is truly successful, and I believe that even he knows it's not where he wants it to be. Will all this experimentation drive some crazy? YES. Will some folks like it? Yes. (people who are strange like me) :)

I read a post earlier today where someone was trying to compare what the Cadets were doing with their narration to including narration in classical music. I didn't respond to that thread, but I wouldn't analyze it that way. To me, the analogy is with musical theater. This is a tough thing to pull off, and I wouldn't know how to do it, that's for sure. So I applaud them for trying and not giving up just because a few people don't like it. And I can still find plenty of things to like about the Cadets. Frankly, anytime I hear a corps that can play that well and march that well, and perform some incredible drill...well, I can certainly find moments to enjoy.

I am not picky, I don't have to be entertained for 100% of every show.

Now, having said that, I will be honest and say that they will have a tough time competitively. Certainly they are always good, better than most except a few, even on what many would consider their bad years, but this show will present a problem for them in GE. The narration itself presents too many "down" moments, and the highs they need are not there. So competitively speaking, they will have to make changes for the sake of their score, and maybe in the long run those changes will benefit the show. We often criticize corps for following the judges thoughts and not making changes to please the fans, but here is a case where the judges may actually help the Cadets tweak this show to a more acceptable and pleasing finale.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

I laughed on the inside at that... That really was funny.

LOL. Ya I mean guys you only have a few moments to play your show after that!