Housing Site Etiquette

We were always intructed to leave the housing site in better condition than when you arrived. We had cleaning crews to address every specific area to ensure that we did not disrespect any school we stayed at.

Horn line would have the fields and outside perimeter. Drum line would check the gym and hallways. Guard was in charge of showers and bathrooms. (or something like that)

That being said I am sure that we at some point would have inadvertantly left something damaged. Completely unintentional if it did occur.

Getting to the point of the burnt field and the unnamed drum corps.. don't get me wrong but doesn't grass grow and get mowed? That being said why would this be such a big deal. Wouldn't the damaged grass be gone in a few weeks at best? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything (honestly). I agree it is disrespectful but just not the end of the world.

thanks

edited for grammar and spelling..I'm sure there are still errors!

Edited by neddy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the high schools where I grew up wont house corps anymore after one painted sets on the field...really ticked off the football coach sooo no corps there ever again.

When I marched we always took good care of our facilities, occasionaly there was the burn mark from the paint but overall pretty good. Some schools even requested that we be the one to stay at their respective school because they enjoyed having us there so much and so we did even if it was just a little out of the way. :tongue:

Getting to the point of the burnt field and the unnamed drum corps.. don't get me wrong but doesn't grass grow and get mowed? That being said why would this be such a big deal. Wouldn't the damaged grass be gone in a few weeks at best? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything (honestly). I agree it is disrespectful but just not the end of the world.

It's because if it is an activity, besides football, that causes the damage they feel it is their right to fuss and whine about it.

But if it's a muddy game and there are places where it is three inches deep....No big deal.

*rolls eyes*

It's because if it is an activity, besides football, that causes the damage they feel it is their right to fuss and whine about it.

But if it's a muddy game and there are places where it is three inches deep....No big deal.

*rolls eyes*

Ohhhhh. I get it now! lol. thanks for the explanation. :tongue:

Unfortunately this sort of thing is pretty common, and it's one of the reasons show coordination becomes more difficult every year. I suspect it's also something that went into consideration for placing finals where they are for the next decade: a whole lot of schools with band directors and administrations friendly to the marching activity.

It seems like for every instance of a corps taking care of its business, there's another instance of a corps (or at least, individuals in a corps) making a huge mess and not cleaning it up, damaging property and not dealing with it, ruining fields (although sometimes the line between using and ruining can be pretty thin), and in general treating a school they're staying at like it's their own personal property to do with as they please. Well, maybe not their own property...I imagine they treat their own property a great deal better.

Funny *sort of* story about this.

Sometimes its not even the kids behavior or destruction of property that causes problems.

my corps was staying at MTSU the night b4 murphreesboro. a few of our contra guys liked to sleep in the nude, which was generally ok as they covered up when they slept. well, at 4 AM, morning of the show, a female athletics administrator decided to walk through the gym...which she knew to be full of sleeping guys. one of our commando-sleepers had rolled over or kicked the covers away and as the woman walked by she managed to get an eye full. after that, we heard from vis. staff that she was incredibly upset by this and that we wouldnt be staying there in future years.

same year at another site we were rehearsing and there were some families and kids in the stands. well, some mom got horribly offended by the....skimpy....nature of our rehearsal clothes. she complained and we were told no more. this really sucked as it was a school we had used for several winter camps and this string of 3 rehearsal days.

Every corps has a "check out inspection sheet"

A walk thru is done before a corps leaves the school, a person from the school, some one from the corps, and the drum majors do the walk thru

All sign off that everything is in good standing, a copy of the report goes to DCI, the school and the corps.

In years past, while attending finals,I have seen school fields painted by the corps during there stay at the school, with the marking of the stadium where the finals are being held, including NFL and local images on the field, I was told they were for reference points.

As a housing cordinator for 2 shows its becoming harder every year due to corps who leave sites a mess. Its also getting harder as school districts are starting to charge large amounts to use facilities. Most band directors are willing to host but the administration is not. Even with the inspection forms it does no good if the schools don't get them filled out no matter if you tell them its the only way to hold the corps responsible. Its mostly field issues with football coaches that think that we tear up fields when they are fine in a few days after use. I get about 5 schools per show that says they can't house due to previous problems.

I know of a corps that accidentally set a school on fire. We were afraid that getting the legal issues cleared up in time (the police came with the fire dept) might cause the corps to miss finals the next day. It got worked out but I'm sure the school will never host DC again.

Back in 2005 I was working on the administrative team for a top 12 drum corps. We were going thru the southern swing of our tour and we unfortunately had a field problem at a couple of schools we were staying at. The paint had burnt the field and of course like most corps' the field liners had left the corps symbol just off the field. Since this had happened at two housing sites in a row we were wondering why this was happening. So we we called the 800 number on the paint can. The company had told us that the only way this happens is if the people using the paint is to close to the ground and/or if the temperature and is to hot outside. Well we were in he South and of course this was a week when the temperatures we averaging between the high 90's and the low 100's. We figure the some of the field liner were getting to low to the ground so we had them adjust and as far as we know this made the problem go away.

this was an unfortunate situation for a corps that does not have a reputation for ruining housing sites. But the field paint does in the right conditions burn the fields. Hopefully the corps's and their insurances can cover the damage.

As for the sign off sheet that corps' and housing sites are supposed t use, not everyone uses it nor does everyone get them from the show sponsor's where they are supposed to come from.

Shannon