DEAD Crowds

Well that's understandable cause corps of today generally suck compared to those of yesteryear.

/sarcasm

I don't think that is the way that comment was intended - but then again it is DCP.

The activity has definitely been moved, by designers, to be more cerebral and illicit less of the visceral responses. Tough to blame the audiences!?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...I was reading the thread about alcohol being served at Invesco the other night and I started to post my thoughts there, but decided I'd start a new thread:

Should spirits be served at drum corps shows? Perhaps. Maybe, just maybe, a couple drinks would help some of these people who are glued to their seat lose some inhibitions and actually cheer throughout the shows. It's not as if the seats in most of these venues are all that comfortable.

I am increasingly amazed at how indolent the crowds are. I've been to several shows this year, and about the only time people get on their feet is at the very end of the show, and if...IF...they actually stand up with 10 seconds left in the show, it's considered a HUGE crowd response.

I can complain all day long about how we're not being given anything to cheer for in certain shows; however, there are some real crowd pleasers this year with several places throughout the show where we could go bonkers.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or have y'all experienced this too?

Perhaps it's up to us drum corps loyalists to set an example when we go to shows, even if we're the only person in the whole stadium.

These young people have worked very hard for us. Let's give 'em some love.

How about some exciting shows! There are only a few APD's that I would buy this year as opposed to 6 to 10 every year before. Boring shows this year with few exceptions.

I don't think that is the way that comment was intended - but then again it is DCP.

The activity has definitely been moved, by designers, to be more cerebral and illicit less of the visceral responses. Tough to blame the audiences!?

Actually, I disagree. I've seen some shows in the 90's that were far more cerebral / out there, and audiences were far more into it. I actually just think we're spoiled, and I count myself as a part of that

Actually, I disagree. I've seen some shows in the 90's that were far more cerebral / out there, and audiences were far more into it. I actually just think we're spoiled, and I count myself as a part of that

Spoiled how?

Spoiled how?

Its a complex issue, but i think it takes more and more every year to get people to their feet, especially when it comes to visual moves. I dont know, it just seems like the longer I follow drum corps, the less I personally am impressed with it. My first show was so overwhelming - both from a standpoint of what the corps did - and how the audience responded, that now everything seems watered down. I know it could just be a function of my own experiences, but I have a few friends who feel the same way. I'm not trying to speak for everybody though...just what I know (because noone on dcp EVER makes that mistake...)

:wub:

Its a complex issue, but i think it takes more and more every year to get people to their feet, especially when it comes to visual moves. I dont know, it just seems like the longer I follow drum corps, the less I personally am impressed with it. My first show was so overwhelming - both from a standpoint of what the corps did - and how the audience responded, that now everything seems watered down. I know it could just be a function of my own experiences, but I have a few friends who feel the same way. I'm not trying to speak for everybody though...just what I know (because noone on dcp EVER makes that mistake...)

:wub:

I know what mean. That's why you need to step back and simply appreciate the effort of the performers. This is a tough, tough activity. Not only do "we", as anaudience, demand more complexity and entertainment. We demand this while corps are travelling more and rehearsing in "productive/concentrated durations" less

I know what mean. That's why you need to step back and simply appreciate the effort of the performers. This is a tough, tough activity. Not only do "we", as anaudience, demand more complexity and entertainment. We demand this while corps are travelling more and rehearsing in "productive/concentrated durations" less

Well...it might be easier this year. I'm not seeing a single live show this year until the last week of the season. Makes it hard to post intelligently sometimes, but I try not to speak in absolutes...

Guest xsabers
So...I was reading the thread about alcohol being served at Invesco the other night and I started to post my thoughts there, but decided I'd start a new thread:

Should spirits be served at drum corps shows? Perhaps. Maybe, just maybe, a couple drinks would help some of these people who are glued to their seat lose some inhibitions and actually cheer throughout the shows. It's not as if the seats in most of these venues are all that comfortable.

I am increasingly amazed at how indolent the crowds are. I've been to several shows this year, and about the only time people get on their feet is at the very end of the show, and if...IF...they actually stand up with 10 seconds left in the show, it's considered a HUGE crowd response.

I can complain all day long about how we're not being given anything to cheer for in certain shows; however, there are some real crowd pleasers this year with several places throughout the show where we could go bonkers.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or have y'all experienced this too?

Perhaps it's up to us drum corps loyalists to set an example when we go to shows, even if we're the only person in the whole stadium.

These young people have worked very hard for us. Let's give 'em some love.

Yeah, but then you have an experience like I had in Denver. Some drunk ol' broad sitting in front of me kept jumping to her feet and her bustle would hit me in the face every time! Not a pleasant experience I can tell you, what with the smell of stale beer, liberally applied lavender perfume, and what must have been moth balls wafting ove...HEY, WAIT A MINUTE HERE! :bluedevil:

I hate drinking at drum corps... people keep getting up to go get more booze or use the restrooms, start talking really loud and making "their" opinion quite obvious to everyone in their section. Saw this at the Rose Bowl last August & yes, have experienced in Denver as well

This is exactly my problem with it as well. It does loosen up inhibitions, but unfortunately, some of those impulses should be kept inhibited. There's no question in my mind that alcohol being sold at the Rose Bowl last August was a significant contributing factor in the booing-The-Cadets fiasco. That said, I should be allowed to drink in the stands because I'm one of the only ones, apparently, who can hold his liquor with no adverse effects whatsoever. :bluedevil:

I generally agree with this. Shows of yesteryear were written with "crowd moments" built in--an awesome soprano solo, a big ending to songs followed by a pause, a company front that actually lasted for more than a few steps before changing into something else.

That being said, I've been at some shows where there was crowd response in the middle. Give the crowd something to respond to and an opportunity to do so, they will.