Drum Corps and Religion

Where was this post when some guy was saying that if you don't believe in God it's because you don't "get it" - i.e. all non believers are not too bright.

The discussion is drum corps and religion. Diverse views on religion were bound to creep in at some point, right?

I don't believe that he was insinuating that non-believers were stupid, just that they don't understand what having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is like. Just as an example of this, there are many people who battled drug/alcohol addictions and were living ruined lives until they became a Christian. My father is one of these people; he was an alcoholic and hasn't had a drink in over 20 years since he became a Christian. Josh Hamilton, Rangers CF, is another example of this. Most non-believers try to explain this as they "substituting drugs for religion" as if they become addicted to religion in place of being addicted to drugs. My father would read such a statement and probably say the same thing- that non-believers don't understand what it's like being a believer. There are other aspects of a Christian's life that unbelievers also don't understand but I have to go to work now. Not because they are not bright people, simply because they are not Christians and can't fully understand what it's like to be one.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that he was insinuating that non-believers were stupid, just that they don't understand what having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is like. Just as an example of this, there are many people who battled drug/alcohol addictions and were living ruined lives until they became a Christian. My father is one of these people; he was an alcoholic and hasn't had a drink in over 20 years since he became a Christian. Josh Hamilton, Rangers CF, is another example of this. Most non-believers try to explain this as they "substituting drugs for religion" as if they become addicted to religion in place of being addicted to drugs. My father would read such a statement and probably say the same thing- that non-believers don't understand what it's like being a believer. There are other aspects of a Christian's life that unbelievers also don't understand but I have to go to work now. Not because they are not bright people, simply because they are not Christians and can't fully understand what it's like to be one.

All good points. I've never done drugs or been an alcoholic so I can't pretend to understand that conversion process. People have jumped both ways and felt better for it, from religion to atheism, and from atheism to religion. As I said before, it's a personal thing, which is why I believe so strongly in the seperation of church and state (or drum corps, in this case!)

I guess it was the "DUH" at the end of his "don't get it" statement that made me think he feels non-believers are a bit dimwitted. Forums are an imperfect place to convey meaning.

Father Ernie in '84 if I'm not mistaken.

You're correct! He was involved with the corps for a long time (waayy before my time I think). I was/am not Catholic but he was a calming, stable presence in the midst of drum corps chaos. I remember people having great respect for him. He did a voluntary Mass once in a while (one in Savannah, GA in 83 if I remember correctly). It was way cool.

I think a chaplain would be a good thing... despite your obvious bias against religion. How does some people having access to a religious person on tour cause people to get so worked up? A chaplain is different than a therapist. If you don't like religion than don't talk to them... no need to bash those who do.

I can see this topic going south from here...

If the intent is to help the kids then a therapist would be better. Kids who are not comfy with Christianity might shy away from a chaplain even if they needed help. A councellor would be easier to approach for non religious as well as religious members IMHO.

Row, row, row your boat

Gently down the stream

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily

Life is but a dream

If the intent is to help the kids then a therapist would be better. Kids who are not comfy with Christianity might shy away from a chaplain even if they needed help. A councellor would be easier to approach for non religious as well as religious members IMHO.

Not practical. A therapist would be much more expensive than a chaplain and that doesn't make them any better.

Think Father Mulcahy in M*A*S*H.

Why not an actual trained and certified therapist? Y'know, like, somebody who can give care that's based on reality? Would that be too much to ask?

Are you suggesting that care provided by chaplains would be based on fantasy?