Spinning Bass Drums

They modified the carriers.... promptly after stealing it from Northcoast Academy at this year's WGI finals.... not the only WGI idea from April that "strongly influenced" their show. :thumbup:

they didnt steal the idea, they asked NCA to use the idea, heck there even borrowed the carriers from them lol either way it comes off prety cool.

as for the wgi stuff...spinning basse the tenor visual...BD has staff from all over the place. For one, tim jackson, who is also on staff at rhythm X. Anything can be "coppied" from any time though. Some say the leg sashes are "old school" or jamie holly could have just really liked the sashes on the freelancers uniforms this year, who he also works for.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's a bad thing because? Literally most of their percussion staff participates in WGI. Oh I forgot, let's keep all activities seperate right?

I think the whole BD drum break rocks...from the stiff leggin bit to the twirlin' basses. It looks great and oozes of sweet brie visual cheese.

And, at the same time...they are laying down some monster grooves. When you got the talent...showboat. That's no different then solid hornlines laying out and wailing on the sideline or guards catching the girl and her rifle ala Cadets and now I guess, Regiment...yeah, who would a thunk it?

So, anyway...loving the BD stuff this year. Clearly right there at the top of the heap.

They modified the carriers.... promptly after stealing it from Northcoast Academy at this year's WGI finals.... not the only WGI idea from April that "strongly influenced" their show. :thumbup:

We did this in 1979 in my high school marching band. ....and we rippied off somebody else that was already doing it.

they didnt steal the idea, they asked NCA to use the idea, heck there even borrowed the carriers from them lol either way it comes off prety cool.

as for the wgi stuff...spinning basse the tenor visual...BD has staff from all over the place. For one, tim jackson, who is also on staff at rhythm X. Anything can be "coppied" from any time though. Some say the leg sashes are "old school" or jamie holly could have just really liked the sashes on the freelancers uniforms this year, who he also works for.

Stolen, borrowed, what have you, my point remains the same. I'd rather signature moments like that be original ideas, or at very least evolutions of previous ideas, instead of just lifted straight out of another show.

Like I said, I find their show entertaining, but it's hardly "risking absurdity" when some one else succeeded with it less than 6 months ago.

I'd even go back to the 60's.

I recall seeing a spinning harness in an old Ludwig or Slingerland Catalog, back in the mid-late 60's, I think. It had some kind of swivel or ball bearing mount that bolted on to the drum. Give it a push, and there she goes! I think it was on the page somewhere near the "hi-stepper" harness, or the little wheelie cart that was designed to roll a Purdue style "World's Biggest Drum" on to the field. Showmanship, 60's bando style - is that where the activity is headed? (tongue-in-cheek, or not - whatever suits your taste!)

all in good fun,

Fred O.

I always thought that if you copy somebody, then you better do it up at a higher demand. The tenor feature that was used by Rhythm X in my opinion is not at a higher demand than originally used. I don't mind if WGI/BOA/DCI copy ideas because I think they all fuel off of each other. However, I don't like the pacing of BD's show as it is designed as the same pace of WGI show. As for the body work, I hate how now you must put some in for your drum feature to be great/cool/effective. It's the same with PA systems, now everybody must use them to have a chance! I'd rather just see a line play harder stuff than have body work to it! And yes, some judges do tell corps to add in visuals!

However, I don't like the pacing of BD's show as it is designed as the same pace of WGI show. As for the body work, I hate how now you must put some in for your drum feature to be great/cool/effective.

I couldn't agree more. I hate drum features with all the silly dancing (ahem... BD). That's why PR's drumline deserves the drum trophy more than anyone this year. They straight up wail and don't have to do the tango at the same time to impress people.

The most important reason why body movement for drumlines is unnecessary is because its usually makes them dirty (ahem... BD).

Just my two cents.

Spinning on a carrier? Really?

Oh for the love of God please no........

I grew up in southern Virginia watching show bands like Norfolk State Spartans and the Hampton Institute Crabbers, traditionally black colleges. They were using these bass drums back in the 70's at least, probably even before than too......

Made me cringe when BD did it.........