open note to DCI

Good post Ryan.

I'm sure the staff of Pioneer discusses with their performers all the purposes of their organization and the reality of competition. They probably adjust these discussions based upon other corps with whom they choose to compete any given summer.

Look back just four years at the names of the 10 or 11 groups that they saw on tour. Seems to have changed quite a bit to me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like the Madison Scouts thread where people are complaining about corps being slotted in the order they go on and being given a low score. I guess if we use logic like that and that of the OP here, we should only place the corps in order of finish and only separate each corp by a tenth so that scores fail to reflect the actual quality of the performance.

Hey, little kids who lose a soccer game 20 - 0, only to have parents regulate the scoreboard to read 2 - 0, still know how they fared against the competition.

You can't fool the people who were there, only those who read scores from afar.

OK, so there HAS to be a last place corps EVERY year. We get that. I may even believe that Pioneer might be it, since their is only a handfull of corps left AT ALL. Here is a simple point to ponder. Lets truly say, Pioneer is in last..... BY TEN POINTS?????? If they really are, then maybe you could adjust their score to say 3.5 down from Mandarins. Why? To save another corps from folding. Keep kids from going to Pioneer, because they KNOW the judges WON'T let them score decently. I don't think they would even mind the placement, but the score. Are you kidding me? If kids are somewhat interested in corps, they may try Pioneer, unless they see these scores. They may just think, why waste my time? Could you blame them? You can't in your lifetime tell me that this corps rehearsed for many days and got WORSE. I DO NOT BUY IT. Your slotting is going to potentially be the downfall of yet another corps. Is the numbers gap truly worth it??????? I am in NO WAY affiliated with the Pioneer, but I can tell you, that if I was, I would pul out of your organization and go to the DCA ranks. At this rate DCI will be a fond memory to talk about at a loaded DCA show.

Its not just "DCI" arbitrarily taking a score, and putting Pioneer 10 points down. I always enjoy pioneer, But scores have nothing to do with enjoyment.

It could even get more of a spread if anyone "Wanted" to put them down as you suggest.

If you have 7 judges, who each have to write down two scores, thats 14 #s written down.

so even if the were to be back .4 or .5 in 14 subcaptions, thats how it just adds up.

and nobody is suggesting they are getting worse, but when you are being scored against the rest of the field, thats whats happening.

I can easily see a spread of 20+ points from what they do to one of the high up corps. That doesnt make them bad, it means they are not achieving the judged criteria as well as some other groups.

so lay back and enjoy them. If they meet your criteria, thats all that matters.

tony

Its not just "DCI" arbitrarily taking a score, and putting Pioneer 10 points down. I always enjoy pioneer, But scores have nothing to do with enjoyment.

It could even get more of a spread if anyone "Wanted" to put them down as you suggest.

If you have 7 judges, who each have to write down two scores, thats 14 #s written down.

so even if the were to be back .4 or .5 in 14 subcaptions, thats how it just adds up.

and nobody is suggesting they are getting worse, but when you are being scored against the rest of the field, thats whats happening.

I can easily see a spread of 20+ points from what they do to one of the high up corps. That doesnt make them bad, it means they are not achieving the judged criteria as well as some other groups.

so lay back and enjoy them. If they meet your criteria, thats all that matters.

tony

I agree completely, and I know both you and I will apply that same line of thinking when the dust settles and we're talking about your favorites within the top 5 at finals.

This sounds like the Madison Scouts thread where people are complaining about corps being slotted in the order they go on and being given a low score. I guess if we use logic like that and that of the OP here, we should only place the corps in order of finish and only separate each corp by a tenth so that scores fail to reflect the actual quality of the performance.

Hey, little kids who lose a soccer game 20 - 0, only to have parents regulate the scoreboard to read 2 - 0, still know how they fared against the competition.

I agree completely, and I know both you and I will apply that same line of thinking when the dust settles and we're talking about your favorites within the top 5 at finals.

OK, so there HAS to be a last place corps EVERY year. We get that. I may even believe that Pioneer might be it, since their is only a handfull of corps left AT ALL. Here is a simple point to ponder. Lets truly say, Pioneer is in last..... BY TEN POINTS?????? If they really are, then maybe you could adjust their score to say 3.5 down from Mandarins. Why? To save another corps from folding. Keep kids from going to Pioneer, because they KNOW the judges WON'T let them score decently. I don't think they would even mind the placement, but the score. Are you kidding me? If kids are somewhat interested in corps, they may try Pioneer, unless they see these scores. They may just think, why waste my time? Could you blame them? You can't in your lifetime tell me that this corps rehearsed for many days and got WORSE. I DO NOT BUY IT. Your slotting is going to potentially be the downfall of yet another corps. Is the numbers gap truly worth it??????? I am in NO WAY affiliated with the Pioneer, but I can tell you, that if I was, I would pul out of your organization and go to the DCA ranks. At this rate DCI will be a fond memory to talk about at a loaded DCA show.

Let's just give everyone "100" and then we can all go home feeling happy and hug one another.

I oppose pity points.

If a corps wants a better score they need to perform better

:blink:

I am not implying to lie. I don't think you can even come close a drum corps SUBJECTIVE score to a game in which ACTUAL goals have to be scored. Judges give numbers based opn WHAT THEY, THEY, THEY, THINK. Big difference in scoring a goal by physically kicking it past someone to having someone think you scored twenty.... based on how much they like your team....