Your favorite Mandarins moments over the years

I have always really enjoyed the Mandarins over the years. I think they have put out some amazing shows, especially considering there were years when they were only marching 40 or 50 members. I think one of my favorite shows from them was either 93 or 94(didn't have time to look it up) when they did I want to say a Doc Severinson piece. I actually heard the music before I saw the show(on the Concord Pavillion cassette from Blue Devils booth). I didn't realize how small they were that year from listening to the tape. I thought they used some very interesting music.

I have also really enjoyed their colorguard use of weapons. I remember in 99 and 2000, really enjoying the guardwork.

What are some of your favorite Mandarins moments?

Hey guys ...

Whenever they pull out the taiko drums, it just gets my heart racing!!!

I would say 1988 or 89 when they played La Fiesta and other Latin pieces. I just seemed so ironic to see that pink clad corps made up of mostly Asian kids playing Latin charts.

Anyone else miss those old heavy unis from the mid to late 90s?

MIKE

Hey Bill!

Loved the On the Waterfront performance! One of my favorite corps memories ever, not just Mandarins.

Also love the fact that the Cavies are doing some stuff this year that strikes me as being Mandarins on steroids. Glad to see they're paying homage in their own way to the great Mandarins corps!

Remember the mylar runners the corps used in 1993 to delineate the field and how it burned a lasting impression in the Jackson, Mississippi field that had to be covered up with paint?

I have always really enjoyed the Mandarins over the years. I think they have put out some amazing shows, especially considering there were years when they were only marching 40 or 50 members. I think one of my favorite shows from them was either 93 or 94(didn't have time to look it up) when they did I want to say a Doc Severinson piece. I actually heard the music before I saw the show(on the Concord Pavillion cassette from Blue Devils booth). I didn't realize how small they were that year from listening to the tape. I thought they used some very interesting music.

I have also really enjoyed their colorguard use of weapons. I remember in 99 and 2000, really enjoying the guardwork.

What are some of your favorite Mandarins moments?

Circa 1995 at the Canadian Open. I thought....no there's a Div. 3 corps doing all the little things right.

In 1998, the Phantom Legion was pretty much neck and neck with them with a decent chance of upsetting the long running champs. As some of our drummers and staff were getting puffy chested (with good reason because that group really threw down that year) I called the corps together....this was just before the 4th of July weekend. I didn't see anyway we weren't going to be battling all the rest of the DCI II/III season for the title.

I said to the corps and staff. "I have seen the Mandarins for 4 seasons now. Ray Mar and that group does all the little things right. The battery doesn't arrive at the gate 5 minutes after the rest of the corps. They do every little thing with precision. We need to match that. If we do...we can't be beat. We are better than they are on paper. But all the intangibles are theirs. They own them. And it starts with doing all the little things right."