2008 Shows That Impress in Person but not on video

Okay this year is interesting, I've found that some shows that I watch on Fan Network don't move me like they did in person,

Here's my top 3 picks so far for corps I've Seen That Are Better in Person

Blue Devils Much More Impressive in Person, the energy they give and the little nuances are so cool

Phantom Regiment again the emotion comes thru better in person

Bluecoats Horns and Drums are !!!!!!!!! much emotional potential in this show, it could be one of the best to see in person

My Top 3 that are better on Video

SC Vanguard I find I enjoy their show better on the screen than I did in person t

here's just something that doesn't connect in person with me

Carolina Crown Volume is good in person and video....but video shows more than you see watching sometimes

Blue Knights, always seems their shows strike me more on video than in person

Top 3 I wish I could see in person

Glassmen, think I miss alot on the little screen than in person

Troopers :) Like the show and all the effects they are adding

Boston Horns sound like they are much better in person think the horn positions don't hit the mics very good

Here's mine, from the corps I have seen:

Better in person:

Cavaliers - their sound is just so ridiculously clean, in tune and balanced - the difference between their brass sound and other corps' doesn't come across as well on a recording

Glassmen - show was slightly boring to me on video, loved it in person

Better on video (not that they're actually better on video, just relative to the other shows)

Blue Knights - don't really know why

Funny, same concept works with past seasons. I always love the post that go something like this: "I just got the legacy dvd collection and corps x was so much better than y in 19++ season, they should have won." Some shows are just better in person....scratch that.....MOST shows .....no......ALL shows are better in person! But I do get your point.

Blue Stars, this year at least, are much more impressive in person. The videos provided so far don't do justice. Too tight frames not showing work, high cam and low res doesn't show some cool guard stuff and great footwork.

There's something about the raw energy and power of drum corps that just can't be adequately captured on video (and CERTAINLY not through two simply-placed field mics). I'd say there isn't a single corps whose performance is done any justice on video. However, for those of us unable to travel to see a show live, it's a heck of a lot better than not seeing any shows at all! :)

Okay this year is interesting, I've found that some shows that I watch on Fan Network don't move me like they did in person,

Blue Devils Much More Impressive in Person, the energy they give and the little nuances are so cool

Bluecoats Horns and Drums are !!!!!!!!! much emotional potential in this show, it could be one of the best to see in person

My Top 3 that are better on Video

SC Vanguard I find I enjoy their show better on the screen than I did in person t

here's just something that doesn't connect in person with me

Carolina Crown Volume is good in person and video....but video shows more than you see watching sometimes

Blue Knights, always seems their shows strike me more on video than in person

Top 3 I wish I could see in person

Glassmen, think I miss alot on the little screen than in person

Troopers :) Like the show and all the effects they are adding

Boston Horns sound like they are much better in person think the horn positions don't hit the mics very good

Blue Devils are AMAZING in person. Video just doesn't capture it.

So true. After I watched San Antonio on the stream, I went on to badmouth BD on how despite being technically superior, their show is so boring and I can't believe they won. I also felt that PR's show was not very entertaining. Well, I saw both of them live in Hattiesburg, MS this past Tuesday and now I'm eating crow.

BD loses most of it's effect in the video stream. There's not enough resolution to pick up on all the nuances as you said. I still feel that BD suffers in musicality. There's not enough dynamic variation to make the music interesting. It's just loud, loud, drum feature, loud, soft (ballad), loud. That's how it comes across to me anyway.

Seeing PR live surprised me also. They had so much energy and projected it so well. The webcast just doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass all that energy through.

Better in Person:

Vanguard, BD, Madison, Cavies, Crown, Academy, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, BK, Glassmen, Phantom, Xmen, Spirit, Colts, Boston, PC, Troppers, Madarins, Pioneer, and Cadets

Better On Video:

Nobody