Cavaliers 60th Anniv - CAC888

No pressure, huh? I missed the step-over in Crown's show -again - last night. How did it look? (My wife just doesn't get that I should not be bothered when I have the door closed and the sound is up...)

I hope I can get my step size figured out before I kill someone in the guard...

If I can step over the bums in downtown Chicago, stepping over these guys will be a piece of cake.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can step over the bums in downtown Chicago, stepping over these guys will be a piece of cake.

At first I thought you were talking about guys lying around the practice field during rehearsal breaks but then again we haven't practiced in the Soldier Field lot for a few years (although Bensenville is close but with a different smell).

At first I thought you were talking about guys lying around the practice field during rehearsal breaks but then again we haven't practiced in the Soldier Field lot for a few years (although Bensenville is close but with a different smell).

That north parking lot next to the sewage treatment ponds does me in. I need to buy a pair of nose plugs.

That north parking lot next to the sewage treatment ponds does me in. I need to buy a pair of nose plugs.

Buckle up, Buttercup ... we're there ALL weekend. I still waiting for you to pull out the funky garb you used to wear to rehearsals in the old days which would fit right in with nose plugs for a total look :thumbup: (There's a great article topic for ya, Mike -- ridiculous rehearsal sites!)

My favorite is the "turf balls" that collect in your shoes. What a field!

it's a riot to hear you guys talking about your practice site, because back then (when I was in the Vaqueros) we came and watched you guys practice at what I'm assuming was the sewage treatment ponds, and we would think "Man, this is awesome!" :smile:

We practiced in a public park or in the Korvettes parking lot on 83 & St. Charles rd. Sometimes we would have to practice while the "Apple Corps" or "Silver Knights" drum & BELL corps would be practicing just further down in the same parking lot.

Wow, to think of a day when there were so many marching programs in action that we sometimes overlapped practice sites... :tongue:

Geno

I remember when we used to be bored on a Thursday night when we weren't practicing, and we'd drive around to other corps' rehearsals....mainly to make time with their girls....but we could go to Lane Tech parking lot to see Neisei, Des Plaines union hall to see Vanguard, and then get kicked out of some Legion hall in Skokie trying to watch Norwood Park (they really hated us bad). All of these were within about 10 miles of each other and all were finalists in VFW as late as 1968. Must have been like that in Jersey and Boston, too, with so many corps so close to each other.

We usually only had to step over bums in Logan Square. They'd be sleeping in the doorway of the old Cavalier Hall. (everyone used to say they were all Royal Air alumni, but I think that was just a rumor) Gee, I wonder why we moved out to the suburbs??

Can't believe the flood of memories doing this brings up.

Earlier today we got our performance time for Semi-Finals night...10:50 PM. Hope us old guys can stay up that late!

My favorite is the "turf balls" that collect in your shoes. What a field!

What are these turf balls? I don't think I suffered from that affliction.

What are these turf balls? I don't think I suffered from that affliction.

Mike the problem is your pit drill isn't complicated enough. That astroturf in Bensenville is "impregnated" with finely ground rubber tire chunks each about 3 mm across. Whenever you take a step - especially the high lift in the push in Battle Hymn you cause a cloud of those things to jump up around your feet. Think of Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon. After rehearsal I'm able to dump a quarter cup of those things out of my shoes. :worthy: Also, strands of green astroturf electostatically attach to my shoes too. Look at me, mixing metric and British measurements in the same paragraph! :smile:

Edited by Cavie74