DCI judges DO read DCP

I definitely appreciate the judges. At any given minute they could be mowed down by a bass contra (I just don't see how those kids see around those things!) or bowled over by a bass drum. Of course we're going to whine when our fav corps doesn't get the scores we think they should. It goes with the title of Drum Corps Fanatic. Or parent. Whatever. With the calibur of talent out there this year, both on the field and off, it would be impossible for even US (pros that we are...ha) to score any better than they do.

Judges, if you're reading this, kudos!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In the meantime, another west coast corps (who shall remain anonymous) was yelling, screaming, turning over tables. I guess that was their style...intimidate for better scores.

I was always gracious and let Ken Mazur go into critique before me. I wish I had had a video camera with me, some interesting mooments would have been preserved for posterity. Of course the judges were always happier to deal with me afterward.

Regards,

John

Hmm... Interesting to hear that judges are reading/talking about DCP- Raises an interesting question to me... Do we influence scores at all? Even if very little? :grouphug:

God I hope not.

God I hope not.

I Sometimes worry that might be the case. After all, look at it this way, DCI judges usually judge other things as well, and some judges may worry that getting a bad rep for just doing their jobs might affect future employment. That's why I always cringe when I see threads that call specific judges out because a few fans think that a professional judge knew what they were doing when they called it as they saw it.

While I'm sure that this isn't a widespread issue (and maybe not even an issue at all) it certainly is a cause for concern. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, as I have the utmost confidence in DCI Judges. They have an incredibly difficult job as has already been said, and they get very little in return except a paycheck and abuse. I applaud all the judges who have enough passion for this activity that they are willing to deal with the traveling, long nights, and inevitable abuse from those who don't think they did their jobs "right."

Btw, how do DCI judges go from show site to show site? Do they take the DCI limo? Drive their own car? Fly? And where do they stay? In a hotel? A few of the judges seemed tired tonight. Perhaps they were gassed from judging all day in SA, and driving all night to get to Denton.

At the Fremont show yesterday I saw five of them pile out of a rental PT Cruiser. Boring, I know. I thought they would come out of a chimney like in Harry Potter.

I was just talking to a fellow instructor from my indoor group about how genius the BD concept is. They've found the ultimate loophole!

Example:

Judge A: "From the top tonight I was not seeing very clear pictures..."

BD Staff: "I know... isn't it ABSURD?!"

Man, if you had any idea how far the "Absurd" joke has been beaten into the ground around here in Concord...