Ugh! OC food trailer breaks down on highway

I've never marched with them, but Crusaders are basically my home corps. (I'm from Springfield, Oregon) That sucks, since they're still trying to raise $25,000 just to go to Nat's.

That's a real bummer. I really hope they get things fixed soon.

woh woh woh, hold on a second!!! They left on tour needing to raise $25,000 to get to finals?????? What happens if they come up short???? How is that a good thing for the staff or the kids?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woh woh woh, hold on a second!!! They left on tour needing to raise $25,000 to get to finals?????? What happens if they come up short???? How is that a good thing for the staff or the kids?

OC has raised $11,000 of the $25,000 that they are trying to raise, and are continuing to try and raise the rest of the money. Obviously, coming up short is not a good thing. The alternative was to not go at all, which would definitely not be good for the staff, the kids, or the organization, who have all worked tremendously hard to get the corps on the field this year.

As I said, OC is still trying to raise the rest of the money and is accepting donations.

Go to: http://www.oregoncrusaders.org/fuelthefire.html if interested in helping out.

Would you want your child touring with a corp who doesn't have the funds to get to their destination?

My child *is* traveling with them. I have confidence in the leadership of this organization, and that they will do the right things and get the kids there and back safely.

DCI should have an emergency fund set up for unforseen emergencies. But it should also be set up so that whatever expenses occur that the corps be responsible to pay back the monies including interest. DCI is not in business to bail out bad situations but they should be there to help should an emergency arise.

I would like to think that a properly run corps leaves for tour with a fairly significant emergency fund in place for these sorts of things. Flat tires and other similar problems (like OC is experiencing) are natural with the 1000s of miles corps put on their vehicles during a very short period of time each summer.

I don't know much about commercial transportation, but I've always thought corps working together (with or without DCI helping) could help with getting better purchasing deals from suppliers of all kinds. This could also apply to emergency vehicle repair/replacement, truck rentals, temporary bus rentals, etc.

How are the buses they travel on?

Hopefully better than what East Coast Jazz traveled on a few years ago

I was shocked how worn the bus tires were-on their way to being bald

Again,how could DCI allow this

I caught that too. Does this mean that they may cut it short if the funds don't materialize?

Odd management decision, but I wish them well.

If I had money and a way of donating, I would do it in a heart beat. I actually almost tried out for them. I probably would've made it too, since they're short on snares. They went from 6 or 7 before tour to just 4.