In the Lot

It struck me at San Antonio that DCI does a weak job of covering the Lot/warm-ups. I know they do an "off the field" portion of FN but they have lots of time between corps when they show the logo of the next corps or the event banner (basically dead air, with sounds of people buzzing in the background). Why not show warm-ups of the various corps and give some of the bottom tier corps some viz. In WGI they even have a contest about "best in the lot". I watched PR, Crown, Spirit and BD warm up in Hattiesburg and each have their own personality and way of "getting into the zone" prior to performance and it's very interesting and revealing.

I really believe that DCI can gain new viewers (even non-corps types) if they explore more of the human side of these units, their preparation and their challenges. It personalizes the event. Thoughts?

It struck me at San Antonio that DCI does a weak job of covering the Lot/warm-ups. I know they do an "off the field" portion of FN but they have lots of time between corps when they show the logo of the next corps or the event banner (basically dead air, with sounds of people buzzing in the background). Why not show warm-ups of the various corps and give some of the bottom tier corps some viz. In WGI they even have a contest about "best in the lot". I watched PR, Crown, Spirit and BD warm up in Hattiesburg and each have their own personality and way of "getting into the zone" prior to performance and it's very interesting and revealing.

I really believe that DCI can gain new viewers (even non-corps types) if they explore more of the human side of these units, their preparation and their challenges. It personalizes the event. Thoughts?

One word: advertising. My friend, haven't you realized that it's all about the Benjamins? :tongue:

maybe if they have audio/video and stuff of corps in the lot, FANS WOULDN'T SPEND THEIR TIME THERE instead of watching the lower scoring corps. i wonder why dci hasn't ever really done anything about it. you'd think they'd take some kind of preventative measure against fans missing a bunch of dci shows at every venue, especially if it would make them money in dvd sales.

I wonder if copyright issues could be a problem. I believe DCI makes sure the corps have followed the copyright laws for the music performed on the field, but maybe not everything a corps may play. A corps may not bother if they use a song that is intended to only be used as a warm-up and never used in an actual performance. I don't much about the legal stuff, but it seems like this could be possible.

Edited by Jeffreelancer

What if someone..just your average joe fan took footage and offered it up to DCI or perhaps someone that has a site with a boatload of bandwidth that offer to host it?

In WGI they even have a contest about "best in the lot".

Drums or Guard?

I've never heard of this.

You're right, if only there was a DVD of the whole lot experience...

... wait: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ylvy5EKc6s

Drums or Guard?

I've never heard of this.

WGI sends a camera around each day of the show in Dayton and there is some kind of vote for who was best in the lot. It is basically a "battery / pit thing" but occasionally if they have dancers/guard, they join in the raindeer games. Just like DCI, WGI lot activity is an event. I was told by a friend in Denver that the BD hornline had over 400 people watching them in the lot. I understand that DCI produced a DVD about the lot experience and I'm sure it's worth the price, I'm just saying that if they had one camera that could capture some of the warm-ups (real time) and feed them into the production it would add another dimension to the corps experience, which is completely unique and give some of the less visable corps some exposure.