The Charlotte Chalet

Never mind. I checked. Heat index 84. Not too bad.

That is pretty bad when you are marching, in uniforms covered from head to toe, no telling what the humidity was, Charlotte can get pretty hot!!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm aware that it's summer. that doesn't really change my reaction.

my high school band marched in 110 degree weather on a black top parking lot, and everybody made it out fine. if north carolina heat gets to the cavies...

I don't think she was saying this just for the Cavies, get real. She meant it for all the corps when someone stated the scores went down. You were not in full uniform on that black top parking lot were you? Also I bet if it was 110 degrees for real you would have been told to stop marching (at least now days) because of heat stroke. Depends on where it was 110, 110 in Arizona is not near as bad as 110 degrees in Alabama, Louisiana or NC. HUMIDITY is what gets you in hot weather.

Oh yeah! way cool. Is he doin alright?

Yes, graduated from LSU in May, is now a Grad student at Auburn and a grad teaching assistant with the AU band. Who are you? I will tell him.

I don't think she was saying this just for the Cavies, get real. She meant it for all the corps when someone stated the scores went down. You were not in full uniform on that black top parking lot were you?

my point is, no matter how hot or humid it is, it shouldn't affect the corps that much. if my old high school marching band, half-full of kids who don't really care, can march around in heat AND HUMIDITY, then so can any drum corps. that's all i was saying.

Also I bet if it was 110 degrees for real you would have been told to stop marching (at least now days) because of heat stroke.

we weren't. we were given reasonably frequent water breaks, forced to wear hats and sunglasses, and tubs of ice cold water were provided for us to dip hand towels into and then drape across the backs of our necks. i didn't fall out once for heat related reasons (although in my freshman year i was pretty aggressive with my "find an excuse to fall out because i hate doing this" tactics...)

Depends on where it was 110, 110 in Arizona is not near as bad as 110 degrees in Alabama, Louisiana or NC. HUMIDITY is what gets you in hot weather.

because humidity only happens when you're within a couple hundred miles of the midatlantic coastline, mirite? we had to deal with humidity too. that story i told earlier about my worst day with humidity? once the rain water started evaporating, it was so thick that you could see it in the air, just like we were in a cloud.

my point, which everyone glossed over, is that 85 degree heat and a small bit of humidity should not be a factor in the least. that's all.

my point is, no matter how hot or humid it is, it shouldn't affect the corps that much. if my old high school marching band, half-full of kids who don't really care, can march around in heat AND HUMIDITY, then so can any drum corps. that's all i was saying.

we weren't. we were given reasonably frequent water breaks, forced to wear hats and sunglasses, and tubs of ice cold water were provided for us to dip hand towels into and then drape across the backs of our necks. i didn't fall out once for heat related reasons (although in my freshman year i was pretty aggressive with my "find an excuse to fall out because i hate doing this" tactics...)

because humidity only happens when you're within a couple hundred miles of the midatlantic coastline, mirite? we had to deal with humidity too. that story i told earlier about my worst day with humidity? once the rain water started evaporating, it was so thick that you could see it in the air, just like we were in a cloud.

my point, which everyone glossed over, is that 85 degree heat and a small bit of humidity should not be a factor in the least. that's all.

I totally agree with that, your explanation helped clarify your previous statement. Man, ice water for towels, brutal. Way to go not to fall out! I totally know about air being so thick after a rain. Was like that yesterday here in Alabama! Ugh, so thick you could cut it with a knife!!!

Agreed. That's actually pretty nice weather for a drum corps show in late July. Most corps are used to practicing all day in 100 degree heat, and sometimes on 120 degree turf. A few hours in 85 degrees is cake, wearing a uni or not.

Edited by cjw5168

I totally agree with that, your explanation helped clarify your previous statement. Man, ice water for towels, brutal. Way to go not to fall out! I totally know about air being so thick after a rain. Was like that yesterday here in Alabama! Ugh, so thick you could cut it with a knife!!!

well truthfully, i said that i had never fallen out because of the heat to show the level of care the staff took with us, not to impress dcp with my stamina :tongue:

honestly though, here's hoping no corps has to deal with too much humidity; whether or not you should allow it to affect you doesn't change the fact that it suuuuucks...

Ok, I can agree with you that 85 with little humidity isn't too bad considering the time of year..Should have little impact on performance. Buts lets leave it at that..To say extreme heat doesn't have much of an impact is pushing it a bit. Take Regiment peforming their show in full uniform in 60 degree heat with no humidy versus 100 degree 90% humidity and you will see a HUGE difference in performance. You could run 5 miles a day in the south and still pass out marching a drum corps show in 97 degree heat with 95% humidity..Trust me, I know..Cadets home show one year..It was brutal. People from about every corps passing out all over the place. Endurance can't stop heat stroke.

Edited by Feathers Up