DCI "standings" after 7/25

I think the scores are starting to get too high again. We've got a couple weeks of shows left and only a 6 point ceiling? Guarantee that BD drops between now and then.
Yup, and the propbability of a tie increases. DCI needs to bring in a "Scoring Consultant" who can teach the judges a few things:

--) 100 is PERFECT. PERFECT. Even if Corps X nails ONE PHRASE (music/vis/brass/perc/wtf-ever) and makes you think "dayum , that was perfect," the chance that Corps X achieves that kind perfection across all 11 minutes IS VERY VERY CLOSE TO ZERO. It should be reserved for the absolutely ground-breaking, undeniable consistent, excellence. Trust me, it has NOT YET HAPPENED! All of those perfect 10 pts in subcatpions in the past...ALL IRRESPONSIBLE.

--) Let's talk about 99. Let's talk about 98. Let's talk about 90. All of these measures are INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TO ACHIEVE. Use them sparingly. No corps gets even close to 90% efficiency by July 25, and probably 1-2 actually achieve that number at Finals. Six corps already? No way.

--) The sheets are designed so that you--the judge--can assign a MEANINGFUL VALUE to your area, and it has very clear (and some not so clear) descriptions and ranges of numbers (box 5, etc). IT'S NOT YOUR JOB TO ENFORCE RANK. IT'S YOUR JOB TO BE FAIR ABOUT USING THE SCORING SHEET TO ARRIVE AT A NUMBER. If a corps is boring, HAMMER THEM in that sub-caption area, all summer if necessary, no matter WHO THEY ARE. BORING IS BORING. THere's no such thing as "improved boring" over time! Yes, that means a corps like Cadets may achieve 90+ in Perf and 60+ in Rep (doesn't maater which area,vis, brass,perc,GE) IT'S NOT EVEN REALISTIC TO BELIEVE THAT ALL CORPS WILL IMPROVE AT THE SAME RATE ALL THE TIME.

--) When the public sees the recaps, and sees straight 1s,2s,3s,etc, that match perfectly with the overall outcome, doesn't that make you a little nervous? Don't you think it looks a little querky, that NOT ONE SINGLE CORPS DID ONE LITTLE THING BETTER THEN A CLOSE COMPETITOR? Yes, I see at Murfessboro there is some variation, but realistically, it's not enough variation to match the reality that it IS possible to be 90+ in Percussion, and yet 60+ everywhere else.

--) It's entirely possible to have a season where the "winning" corps scores at only 80% proficiency. (There are years I call "3-way tie for 2nd place, since no one really WON.") You don't have to artifically infalte scores to make sure the winning corps reaches 95+ at finals.

WARNING: THis is all based on reality, logic, reason, and a whole lotta common sense.

Actually, 100 has nothing to do with perfection. All it would ever mean, if it happened, is that the corps exactly matched the standards of the sheets. My high school band once scored a 94.00 at BOA Nationals. That same year, Glassmen scored a 93.70 at DCI Finals. No one would ever argue that our band was closer to perfection than the Glassmen were, even though we scored closer to 100. In any judged activity numbers cannot be considered absolute, they simply reflect where each corps ranks on the specific scale in use.

Actually, 100 has nothing to do with perfection. All it would ever mean, if it happened, is that the corps exactly matched the standards of the sheets. My high school band once scored a 94.00 at BOA Nationals. That same year, Glassmen scored a 93.70 at DCI Finals. No one would ever argue that our band was closer to perfection than the Glassmen were, even though we scored closer to 100. In any judged activity numbers cannot be considered absolute, they simply reflect where each corps ranks on the specific scale in use.
How can a judge "rank" the first performing corps, without having yet seen the rest?

How can a judge "rank" the first performing corps, without having yet seen the rest?

I (not on here) have asked that same question for years. How can you watch one corps, turn in a score, and then watch another, etc... and even be fair to the ones you saw first? Especially early season. Can't be done folks. The sytem is flawed!

edit for punctuation

Edited by Perry S

Dirty Little Secret: Perfection is not the goal nor the maximum standard on the sheets. In the tick system, maybe, but not the build-up system of judging. And the standard that is used is not as clearly defined as some would like. If the standard was absolutely defined, there would not allow room for innovation and therefore limit creativity, a concept which has become anathema to modern drum corps designers and administration (that concept being any sort of limitation to anyone's perception of creativity).

Think what you want about it, that's the deal...

Edited by Reed