BigMo's Atlanta Review

I finally made it to my first DCI show for the season. I was in the Georgia Dome ready for the first performance at 11:09am!

Please be assured that I am in NO WAY bashing any corps or corps members in this review. It is simply my impressions of their performances. No one need be offended.

In reverse order.............

PIONEER

I have had some problems with Pioneer in the past with their continued use of the Irish theme. Come on....how far can you go. However, this year they won me over with their musical selections. How can you go wrong with Holst, Grainger, and Walton. Pioneer's biggest problem is with not having the "horses" to play this show to it's fullest. The kids are working hard and I especially applaud Pioneer for having the 3 young people from South Africa in their corps. I jo=ust doen't see them cleaning this show up enough and putting more power into it to move up. That being siad, I am going to make sure I am in my seat early in Bloomington to see them. I really enjoyed the concept of this show.

MANDARINS

The "River" worked for me. I enjoyed all aspects of this show. Actually, I found this show more entertaining that The Academy (more about them later). This show has potential to maybe make a move in Bloomington. Great effort and great to watch.

THE TROOPERS

You have got to be kidding......the Troopers in 18th place with this show! What are the judges smoking. This is a GREAT show and performed very well. To say the least, The Troopers are making great strides in getting back in the activity. This is a show not to miss. I had them much higher.

THE ACADEMY

This corps impressed me last year in Pasadena. I was expecting more from them this year. "The Vienna Nights" just misses the mark. The horn line is playing very well and show is the percussion. The guard work as fairly good, but not impressive. The biggest problem is show design and the marching design. These formations I expect to see at my local high school competitions, not at DCI - too high school. That is not the fault of the performers but more of the deisners. Maybe they had a young corps and needed to being it back a notch this year. I wish them well and look forward to their progress over the next few years. However, don't be surprised to see the Troopers and maybe even the Mandarins pass them by Quarter Finals.

PACIFIC CREST

Good news - The intonation problems from last year are fixed. There didn't seem to be the attitude of "Let's see how loud we can blast at the expense of musicianship. The drill is still a little "high School" for DCI but improving. The guard work is good and the costumes fit the theme. It is enjoyable but not memorable. The Troopers should catch and pass this corps by Quarterfinals.

SPIRIT

Everyone knows that this corps has a special place in my heart. I was expecting to be very disappointed having seen their scores from pervious performances this year. I WAS NOT! The show design to me is a little week but the kids are performing the heck out of this show. It is not the type of show that will get the crowd up and cheering wildly, darn it! But they do a great job with it. The high brass seemed to be doing well and the percussion also. Nice job.

THE COLTS

WOW! Being an "old fart" I love the music. The Colts went for crowd appeal and hit the mark. This is a great "feel good show". However, the performers need to kick it up a notch and get more excited about this program. The feeling from the stands is that they were "going through the motions". This could be a very memorable show, but needs a fire under it. I think the design and music are there, the perfomance is not.

MADISON SCOUTS

Once this show is cleaned up LOOK OUT! What an exciting show - a typical "in your face" Madison show. The drills is very challenging and needs to be cleaned (duh!) Musically, I was awe struck. POWER POWER POWER. ON the other hand, I can't say that I am that thrilled with the drab green uniforms. The design of the uniforms is fine, it's the color. Byt this is my opinion and should not have any affect on this corps moving up. Look for them to be in the top 12 come Bloomington time!

CROSSMEN

The new look of the black and white uniforms (instead of black and red) is very clean and crisp. It helps add a visual touch to this show. Although I thought the performers did a good job with this show, my "concern"is with the musical arrangements. How can you take the Planets by Gustave Holtz and make it forgettable. They really needed to not even refer to Holtz music and simply used the way they have. We (people in y section) kept waiting for more Jupiter and Mars. That being said, it is well performed but I think you will see them drop down in placement by Quarterfinals.

GLASSMEN

In the past I have either really liked the Glassmen's show or really disliked it. Last years show really grew on my and by Pasadena I enjoyed it greatly. ALthough this year's show is somewhat enjoyable I feel it missed the mark. Is it a Carnival or a Circus. They kept playing little segments that referred to a circus theme but then would go back to the carnival theme. I realize in Europe that Carnival and Circus can be the same. But we ain't in Europe!

That being said, I liked the performance. I would have like to have seen something more done with the steamer trunks. Maybe that is something in the works.

BOSTON CRUSADERS

This is an intense program. Very powerful complimented by a excellent drill. I found myself wanting more from the opening "Also Spracht Zarathustra". That should pin you back in your seats by does not. The ending of the show is wonderful and the "hint" of Conquest is very pleasing. That being said, I don't see this show moving up in placement. How amny corps would love to be in 10th place come finals night!

BLUE STARS

Excellent music, great concept, and a good total package show. The basically white uniforms add greatly to the appear of this show. All corps memebrs seem to really sell this show and it worked. One of my favorites of the night.

BLUE KNIGHTS

No disrespect meant, but what were you thinking? For the last several years the Blue Knights have had very "dark" shows. This year they aren't necessarily dark, just strange. The drill, most of the time, seems "safe" which is not what you would aspect from a corps trying to bring in the "elite" group. The horn chart is also "safe". I'm sorry to say, like so many of the Blue Knights shows of this past this is less than memorable.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

3HREE.............

Typical outstanding drill. Good music and great guard work. But it doesn't seem to jell. Although I enjoyed it greatly I guess I was wanting more from SCV. And how bad can it be when you are placing in 7th. But we all have come to expect more from SCV.

BLUECOATS

Proving once again, you can have narration and make it work (unlike another corps). The boxing theme really worked for me. I found myself really getting into this show. There are some great horn moments and the percussion is AWESOME. especially the pit. I really think this show has the potential of passing the Cadets by Finals night.

THE CADETS

What can you say.........another outstanding Cadets drill, musical program, guard designed messed up with the narration. Come on folks, we know you CAN do it, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Last year I thought they would have pulled out the championship win if it were not for all the talking. This year, the talking simply does not add anything, except to explain why there ar two people sitting on chairs in the middle of the field. My congratulations to the corps members for putting on one heck of a performance, but happiness for me is less talk and more music.

CAROLINA CROWN

I think it is safe to say that last year's "Triple Crown" was a crowd favorite. This year, "Finis" is unbelievable. First congrats go to the musical arranger for this show. What a genius taking all these wonderful pieces of music and weaving them together....seamlessly. Then add to that the performance and you have a WOW! performance. This was my first goose-bump moment of the night. The drill, the music,....everything about this show screams " WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE TAKING NAMES!". Can't wait to see it again and again.

PHANTOM REGIMENT

With out a doubt, my personal favorite. I would love to see this show win it all in Bloomington. It probably won't happen but I can dream! This was my only other "goose-bump moment" of the night. From beginning to end it is a power packed show. WHAT A PERCUSSION SECTION! And the horn line is terrific. The guard helps to sell this show...........I AM SPARTACUS!

THE CAVALIERS

Another stellar performance by the Cavies. However, even though the theme was "Samurai" I kept getting the feeling I had seen this show before. Several of us talked in the stands about it and determined that it was just an "Oriental" take on previous Cavies shows. The drill was outstanding, but a little safe by Cavies standards. The percussion chart seemed like every other Cavies Percussion charts. I guess if it works, don't fix it. I was expecting something new and different. What I got was a remake of "Frameworks" and other recent Cavies shows. But who am I to disagree with the judges!

BLUE DEVILS

Constantly Risking Absurdity.......I think not. I, as others, felt about this show the same way we did about the Cavaliers show - haven't I seen this before. I miss the in your face jazz. Not once in the Georgia Dome did the Blue Devils pin our ears back. But who can argue with there success this year. This was very enjoyable but not that memorable.

This are JMHO....

Great review Moe.

I am with you on Crown & Phantom.

Both are the best designed and performed shows hands down and one direction or the other, I think will be 1,2 at finals.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

I finally made it to my first DCI show for the season. I was in the Georgia Dome ready for the first performance at 11:09am!

Please be assured that I am in NO WAY bashing any corps or corps members in this review. It is simply my impressions of their performances. No one need be offended.

PIONEER

I have had some problems with Pioneer in the past with their continued use of the Irish theme. Come on....how far can you go. However, this year they won me over with their musical selections. How can you go wrong with Holst, Grainger, and Walton. Pioneer's biggest problem is with not having the "horses" to play this show to it's fullest. The kids are working hard and I especially applaud Pioneer for having the 3 young people from South Africa in their corps. I jo=ust doen't see them cleaning this show up enough and putting more power into it to move up. That being siad, I am going to make sure I am in my seat early in Bloomington to see them. I really enjoyed the concept of this show.

MANDARINS

The "River" worked for me. I enjoyed all aspects of this show. Actually, I found this show more entertaining that The Academy (more about them later). This show has potential to maybe make a move in Bloomington. Great effort and great to watch.

THE TROOPERS

You have got to be kidding......the Troopers in 18th place with this show! What are the judges smoking. This is a GREAT show and performed very well. To say the least, The Troopers are making great strides in getting back in the activity. This is a show not to miss. I had them much higher.

THE ACADEMY

This corps impressed me last year in Pasadena. I was expecting more from them this year. "The Vienna Nights" just misses the mark. The horn line is playing very well and show is the percussion. The guard work as fairly good, but not impressive. The biggest problem is show design and the marching design. These formations I expect to see at my local high school competitions, not at DCI - too high school. That is not the fault of the performers but more of the deisners. Maybe they had a young corps and needed to being it back a notch this year. I wish them well and look forward to their progress over the next few years. However, don't be surprised to see the Troopers and maybe even the Mandarins pass them by Quarter Finals.

PACIFIC CREST

Good news - The intonation problems from last year are fixed. There didn't seem to be the attitude of "Let's see how loud we can blast at the expense of musicianship. The drill is still a little "high School" for DCI but improving. The guard work is good and the costumes fit the theme. It is enjoyable but not memorable. The Troopers should catch and pass this corps by Quarterfinals.

SPIRIT

Everyone knows that this corps has a special place in my heart. I was expecting to be very disappointed having seen their scores from pervious performances this year. I WAS NOT! The show design to me is a little week but the kids are performing the heck out of this show. It is not the type of show that will get the crowd up and cheering wildly, darn it! But they do a great job with it. The high brass seemed to be doing well and the percussion also. Nice job.

THE COLTS

WOW! Being an "old fart" I love the music. The Colts went for crowd appeal and hit the mark. This is a great "feel good show". However, the performers need to kick it up a notch and get more excited about this program. The feeling from the stands is that they were "going through the motions". This could be a very memorable show, but needs a fire under it. I think the design and music are there, the perfomance is not.

MADISON SCOUTS

Once this show is cleaned up LOOK OUT! What an exciting show - a typical "in your face" Madison show. The drills is very challenging and needs to be cleaned (duh!) Musically, I was awe struck. POWER POWER POWER. ON the other hand, I can't say that I am that thrilled with the drab green uniforms. The design of the uniforms is fine, it's the color. Byt this is my opinion and should not have any affect on this corps moving up. Look for them to be in the top 12 come Bloomington time!

CROSSMEN

The new look of the black and white uniforms (instead of black and red) is very clean and crisp. It helps add a visual touch to this show. Although I thought the performers did a good job with this show, my "concern"is with the musical arrangements. How can you take the Planets by Gustave Holtz and make it forgettable. They really needed to not even refer to Holtz music and simply used the way they have. We (people in y section) kept waiting for more Jupiter and Mars. That being said, it is well performed but I think you will see them drop down in placement by Quarterfinals.

GLASSMEN

In the past I have either really liked the Glassmen's show or really disliked it. Last years show really grew on my and by Pasadena I enjoyed it greatly. ALthough this year's show is somewhat enjoyable I feel it missed the mark. Is it a Carnival or a Circus. They kept playing little segments that referred to a circus theme but then would go back to the carnival theme. I realize in Europe that Carnival and Circus can be the same. But we ain't in Europe!

That being said, I liked the performance. I would have like to have seen something more done with the steamer trunks. Maybe that is something in the works.

BOSTON CRUSADERS

This is an intense program. Very powerful complimented by a excellent drill. I found myself wanting more from the opening "Also Spracht Zarathustra". That should pin you back in your seats by does not. The ending of the show is wonderful and the "hint" of Conquest is very pleasing. That being said, I don't see this show moving up in placement. How amny corps would love to be in 10th place come finals night!

BLUE STARS

Excellent music, great concept, and a good total package show. The basically white uniforms add greatly to the appear of this show. All corps memebrs seem to really sell this show and it worked. One of my favorites of the night.

BLUE KNIGHTS

No disrespect meant, but what were you thinking? For the last several years the Blue Knights have had very "dark" shows. This year they aren't necessarily dark, just strange. The drill, most of the time, seems "safe" which is not what you would aspect from a corps trying to bring in the "elite" group. The horn chart is also "safe". I'm sorry to say, like so many of the Blue Knights shows of this past this is less than memorable.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

3HREE.............

Typical outstanding drill. Good music and great guard work. But it doesn't seem to jell. Although I enjoyed it greatly I guess I was wanting more from SCV. And how bad can it be when you are placing in 7th. But we all have come to expect more from SCV.

BLUECOATS

Proving once again, you can have narration and make it work (unlike another corps). The boxing theme really worked for me. I found myself really getting into this show. There are some great horn moments and the percussion is AWESOME. especially the pit. I really think this show has the potential of passing the Cadets by Finals night.

THE CADETS

What can you say.........another outstanding Cadets drill, musical program, guard designed messed up with the narration. Come on folks, we know you CAN do it, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Last year I thought they would have pulled out the championship win if it were not for all the talking. This year, the talking simply does not add anything, except to explain why there ar two people sitting on chairs in the middle of the field. My congratulations to the corps members for putting on one heck of a performance, but happiness for me is less talk and more music.

CAROLINA CROWN

I think it is safe to say that last year's "Triple Crown" was a crowd favorite. This year, "Finis" is unbelievable. First congrats go to the musical arranger for this show. What a genius taking all these wonderful pieces of music and weaving them together....seamlessly. Then add to that the performance and you have a WOW! performance. This was my first goose-bump moment of the night. The drill, the music,....everything about this show screams " WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE TAKING NAMES!". Can't wait to see it again and again.

PHANTOM REGIMENT

With out a doubt, my personal favorite. I would love to see this show win it all in Bloomington. It probably won't happen but I can dream! This was my only other "goose-bump moment" of the night. From beginning to end it is a power packed show. WHAT A PERCUSSION SECTION! And the horn line is terrific. The guard helps to sell this show...........I AM SPARTACUS!

THE CAVALIERS

Another stellar performance by the Cavies. However, even though the theme was "Samurai" I kept getting the feeling I had seen this show before. Several of us talked in the stands about it and determined that it was just an "Oriental" take on previous Cavies shows. The drill was outstanding, but a little safe by Cavies standards. The percussion chart seemed like every other Cavies Percussion charts. I guess if it works, don't fix it. I was expecting something new and different. What I got was a remake of "Frameworks" and other recent Cavies shows. But who am I to disagree with the judges!

BLUE DEVILS

Constantly Risking Absurdity.......I think not. I, as others, felt about this show the same way we did about the Cavaliers show - haven't I seen this before. I miss the in your face jazz. Not once in the Georgia Dome did the Blue Devils pin our ears back. But who can argue with there success this year. This was very enjoyable but not that memorable.

This are JMHO....

GREAT REVIEW!!!

GB

Any thoughts on the CorpsVets?

I think the biggest mistake Cadets made with narration is making it a focal point of the show. I was personally insulted. Do their designers think their audience is so stupid that they cannot understand the concepts placed forth by the colorguard (i. e. the money flags, etc)? Give the fans some credit. In addition, I was in lower level seating and the voices just sounded garbled and overbearing. I heard it was not a problem up top. Try again George...

PIONEER

MANDARINS

THE TROOPERS

THE ACADEMY

PACIFIC CREST

SPIRIT

THE COLTS

MADISON SCOUTS

CROSSMEN

GLASSMEN

BOSTON CRUSADERS

BLUE STARS

BLUE KNIGHTS

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

3HREE.............

BLUECOATS

THE CADETS

CAROLINA CROWN

PHANTOM REGIMENT

THE CAVALIERS

BLUE DEVILS

This are JMHO....

They have the show young corp. I see them in 7th or 8th. the design is right up there with the top 5 (Boston)

Edited by emc2