1986 Garfield Cadets

I know I won't spell her name right but it was Shuey (Shewi? sorry!) Her right shoulder was MASSIVE from pulling those straps around all summer. We talked at length and that was truly my BEST impression I had had of Garfield in my first year. I believe she had 11 years on the field with them at that point (memory is rusty).

There was a 12 year old girl named "Shoie" in Garfield that year, she's the one who runs across the field with the long flag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show probably would have been a lot cleaner had Garfield not had to do the Statue of Liberty celebration that year also.

I remember they had about 30 additional minutes of music to learn that summer and they mainly practiced it at night after shows, so the corps was running on 5 hours of sleep a night. Then once they got to the celebration, they performed their show music, got ready to play the additional stuff and were told not to. Meaning they wasted precious hours that could have been spent on the show.

Edited by EKBari

I've always maintained that, in my opinion, Garfield could have won a 4th title if they had a) used a bigger, traditional guard and b) another couple of weeks to clean. To me, this is one of their underrated shows.

I've always maintained that, in my opinion, Garfield could have won a 4th title if they had a) used a bigger, traditional guard and b) another couple of weeks to clean. To me, this is one of their underrated shows.

I AGREE! :thumbdown:

The show is musically very compelling, but the two halves just don't quite make it for me. Awfully difficult show, though.

We had 84 brass that year but in the opener (opening sets) the guard joined the line to make 96 brass.

Here is some more trivia:

We had clarinets on the field that year.

The concert arc in the closer was (if I remember correctly) a sort of protest/statement to a corps who was stuck in the past :-)

Having only seen this show via videotape and never live, it took me years to figure out that the girls had clarinets painted white during that section! :thumbdown: