SPLOOIE!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 32nd note slured runs in the mello's are pretty and impressive. However, Holding a 32 count chord on the 5th partial of that mello in tune is more demanding. Playing a power chord as loud as you can without losing control (totally a matter of personal taste btw) is pretty and impressive. Achieving balanced crescendo's and decrescendo's with clean releases while spread between the 10's is more demanding.

But what does all that have to do with the Cavaliers? :thumbup:

Seriously, my opinion....I didn't see the Cavaliers very often in the early-season, but I know many complained about the brass not putting out much sound. Doesn't seem to be a problem now. In fact, in Murfreesboro, the blaritones (especially one in particular) helped make the Cavies one of the louder lines of the night. However, while it appears that a number of their brass players are raising the bar on volume, and with acceptable tone quality in the process - others aren't, and the result is not as well blended as it could be if all 72 players were putting out. Balance is a bigger problem, as the stronger players are not evenly distributed throughout the voicings. Bear in mind how many extended chords this show uses, further exposing these facets of the ensemble.

Just to be clear, I think the sound they're getting now is a vast improvement over the no-one-exceed-mezzo-forte approach, and I enjoy them much more as a result. In the context of top-7 hornlines, though, I am hearing clearly better results from the Phantom Regiment and Carolina Crown hornlines right now, especially regarding the attributes of balance and intonation you refer to above.

Either you're sarcastic or an idiot. I'm not sure which.
I'll go along with that ! :thumbup:

Your kidding right?Igot news for you.The Cavaliers are a serious threat to win the DCI championship.It will not come down to RP or Crown.Neither has the GE score to win it.The Cavaliers will improve their scores across the board.I could be wrong but I still think the Cavaliers win this year.

RP??? I hope that was a mis-type. If not, pretty low even for a Cavie (given the two corps' history).

I'd agree that the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch. :thumbup:

However (IMO - FWIW) of the top 7 corps this year Cavies have the weakest brass book in terms of demand. Just like last year they're playing it safe. As always its just my opinion and not meant to offend, but Cavies brass should not even be in the top 5. There's not enough notes or power compared to some of the other corps. In particular I'd single out PR and Crown who this year have been able to produce maximum power without losing control. BD, SCV, Cadets and Bluecoats all have superior hornlines this year to the Cavies.

Top notch?? 5th at San Antonio ain't top notch. And BD/PR's brass placements are warranted. I spoke to a "NAME" brass guy after Denton who said PR's brass is the best they have heard...ever. BD's is always tops. Crown must be deserved if they won brass that night over the other two. And Cavies couldn't even beat Cadets in brass? Care to choose another adjective?

P.S. Not blasting Cavies, OK? Just...be realistic in our assessments of our favoritest corps, yes?

The Regimental Phantom? :smile:

Yeah, that's what I meant to ask in the reply above.

Button Off. In your last two post you've moved this corps out of the top 7, then top, 5, and now top 12. The only criteria you have used to assess the horn line is "not enough notes or power," while giving credit to two groups that have done a good job of maximizing their power without losing control (your opinion). I have already pointed out that there are many things to consider musically other than note quantity and volume, not to mention the other physical demands on the performers. You agreed that "the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch," then instantly reverted to a volume and note quantity argument. Your mind is made up about what constitutes demand, and you probably won't change it.

However, for the sake of discussion I will share my opinions with you.

I think 32nd note slured runs in the mello's are pretty and impressive. However, Holding a 32 count chord on the 5th partial of that mello in tune is more demanding. Playing a power chord as loud as you can without losing control (totally a matter of personal taste btw) is pretty and impressive. Achieving balanced crescendo's and decrescendo's with clean releases while spread between the 10's is more demanding.

Dicsuss?

Relax, the guy stated the obvious. Cavies brass was 5th at San Antonio. They won't win DCI b/c of their brass score. They don't have to win brass any more to win DCI. Demand doesn't win DCI otherwise PR wouldn't have placed 4th last year. GE wins DCI which is why Cavies have been in the drivers' seat for so long, and voila--there they are in the lead sled dog's spot again.

Is BD going to go away? Don't see it happening. So Cavies caught them. Fine. Now they have to keep it. Plus PR comes off rest and rehearsal tonight and we'll see where they come in. Maybe they've added a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe they've kicked in some fancy-fancies and cleaned some stuff. Great. Cavies aren't there. We know they can take BD finals day (see also 06), but your Cavies only have to watch the blue team until my tighty-whities beat them head-to-head.

Cavies have nearly perfected the idea of winning with GE. That's why they've chosen a show theme of Samurai and not Pokemon. James Bond and not Mission Impossible. Frameworks and not Picasso visits the Cape. Machine and not Short Ride in a Fast Machine. They've got GE down, but a part of that is not doing two conflicting things at once, which means that they do really astounding drill when they're not playing, and play really great when they're standing still. It works! And I thought the scores proved that. Stop getting your g-strings in a wad b/c people state the obvious. My corps has yet to learn that lesson. BD took a few years to do so, and the last few years they've been tough cuz they learned that lesson Cavies taught the activity. Take pride in that...don't feel insulted every time someone points it out.

Go Cavies! Go BD! Go PR! All of you give all of us a great end to another great season and duke it out 'til the end!!

Stop getting your g-strings in a wad b/c people state the obvious.

My g-string is fine thanks for asking. I entered this discussion because a newby with two weeks experience and 15 posts shared with us his wisdom that the green team didn't have a difficult show. Two other experts in the field jumped in to inform me that they didn't have enough notes in their show, and that they didn't play loud enough.

My only goal in this discussion was to point out that there is more to consider than notes and volume when determining the difficulty of a horn book.

Re-read my posts carefully. I have not defended placement, argued brass scores, or implied that they should be scoring any differently in brass than they are. I was simply defending the shows demand, regardless of how they place.

My only goal in this discussion was to point out that there is more to consider than notes and volume when determining the difficulty of a horn book.

And you were expecting reasonable discussion rather than blatant homerism??? :tongue:

Congratulations Cavaliers on being astounding. :tongue:

Button Off. In your last two post you've moved this corps out of the top 7, then top, 5, and now top 12. The only criteria you have used to assess the horn line is "not enough notes or power," while giving credit to two groups that have done a good job of maximizing their power without losing control (your opinion). I have already pointed out that there are many things to consider musically other than note quantity and volume, not to mention the other physical demands on the performers. You agreed that "the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch," then instantly reverted to a volume and note quantity argument. Your mind is made up about what constitutes demand, and you probably won't change it.

Your post here infers (at least to me) that the other corps in the top 4 don't match up in terms of tq, sonority, control, etc in the hornline, and/or don't have good physical demand. I disagree. Those other hornlines, Crown and PR specifically, have plenty of physical demand, play with much more power (when needed) in their shows, and play with a wonderfully blended sound.

And you were expecting reasonable discussion rather than blatant homerism??? :tongue:

Congratulations Cavaliers on being astounding. :tongue:

Not everyone here is a homer for another corps.