1982 Garfield Cadets snares

The '82 Cadets had some interesting looking snares. Were those prototype free floaters?

I remember Ludwig still being on top of the scene back then. I think Garfield was marching Pearls, if I recall.

Take this to the historical section and I bet you get the right answer.

'82 was my age out, and I recall Cadets using Slingerlands. They cut out their own version of sound projection holes right into the front of the shells, which we always thought would weaken the shells integrity. But the heads themselves were more than likely Ludwig "Strider" heads with a silver dot, as that was what everyone was using. Free Floating head/rims did not exist and we would all crank down on the heads slowly to get the top of the rim almost even with the playing head, and get a tight, true snare sound.

Blue Devils and Madison were among the first to get the "cranked" head sound - super tight and very bright in sound. SCV and 27th followed, all though SCV always had an awesome snare drum sound. By the time North Star came along in the late 70's, a tight snare sound was the norm. Phantom Regiment was amongst the last, as I recall, to get away from the fat snare sound, and Bridgemen never really did give up the slings in favor of the carrier.

Yeah, this topic could go into Historical or the Percussion thread...

Sorry for not putting this thread in the correct forum. Regardless, thanks for the informative reply. I loved the '82 Garfield Cadets! I would love to hear them bring back Rocky Point Holiday!

Forum mods, if you would like to move this to the historical section, that would be fine.

Edited by shortn'sour