Who has the best tuned battery?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Allentown and all I can say is welcome back snare voice. A few years ago that kevlar pop was killing me, but now I can actually hear snare.....even in Cadets. Maybe it's the new heads, but everyone seems to be a bit lower and wetter than years past.

I can agree with you here. But here's something I noticed. I attended a Bluecoats and a Cavaliers rehearsal recently. When I heard an individual snare fairly close, it sounded like a cardboard box. It was horrible. But when you get the whole line together, and get some distance from them, they sounded decent. I can only use the word "decent", because I still think they sound like crap. Sorry. I noticed a few lines at the Massilon show (the only show I've seen live) that seemed to have a pretty decent snare sound.

Someone please explain to me the "logic" in the way the snares are tuned. They seem to all have guts removed and taped down, and pads taped to the bottom heads. Some the of lines almose have no snare sound at all when they are playing soft and towards the edge. There was a couple of lines at the Massilon show that were playing while facing back field that I thought for sure had the snares turned off. Where is that nice crisp snare sound these days?

I've never liked the sound of Dynasty snares. Still don't like BD's sound with them. Having said that Phantom is getting a really good sound out of them this year. Very rich and articulate. Also personally I've always thought that Cadets have the best sounding bass drums in their battery and and the most articulate playing also.

I can agree with you here. But here's something I noticed. I attended a Bluecoats and a Cavaliers rehearsal recently. When I heard an individual snare fairly close, it sounded like a cardboard box. It was horrible. But when you get the whole line together, and get some distance from them, they sounded decent. I can only use the word "decent", because I still think they sound like crap. Sorry. I noticed a few lines at the Massilon show (the only show I've seen live) that seemed to have a pretty decent snare sound.

Someone please explain to me the "logic" in the way the snares are tuned. They seem to all have guts removed and taped down, and pads taped to the bottom heads. Some the of lines almose have no snare sound at all when they are playing soft and towards the edge. There was a couple of lines at the Massilon show that were playing while facing back field that I thought for sure had the snares turned off. Where is that nice crisp snare sound these days?

a few corps still have it, but many corps (sadly) follow the BD attitude of "let's crank the s--- outta them!!!!!" (this goes for tenors too) (and even basses sometimes). you just hafta listen carefully for those few corps, and really enjoy it.

i've actually seen BD snares taking off their guts before finals (not all of them, but some). i doesn't make sense to me either...

Phantom Regiment for me is the best sounding. Their sound seems deeper and more resonant than other corps. Love it.

Must be their new Dark Nasty's. There's a good chance that for the second year in a row, the high drumline will be using Dark Nasty's. I guess it 's the individuals PLAYING the drums and NOT the company that MANUFACTURES the drums that really counts. I remember everybody hated Nasty's a few years ago and now you see a lot more drumlines using them.........

that's cuz they're the cheapest ones and have good customer service. pretty much, they're like premier. only, just SLIGHTLY better

but, they sound AWFUL and break SUPER easy, especially compared to Yamaha and Pearl

edit: i'm not comparing them at all to Mapex, because i don't have any experience to them

Edited by Gbassman5

Snares: Cavaliers/Bluecoats/Cadets

Tenors: Phantom, hands down... somehow they got those Dynasty's to sound exactly like Pearls. Bravo!

Basses: Cavaliers

i've actually seen BD snares taking off their guts before finals (not all of them, but some). i doesn't make sense to me either...

Not saying this is why, but...

If you're trying to hide dirt, taking off snares is a good way to do it. There is also the old proverbial "pillow in the drum" trick too :wink:

And I personally hate the way Dynasty snares sound too. Congrats to Rennick and crew for getting them to not sound like crap.

Edited by atlvalet

that's cuz they're the cheapest ones and have good customer service. pretty much, they're like premier. only, just SLIGHTLY better

I Personally like the sound of premier apart from the tenors, Tenor wise there now't better then pearl imo.