Please explain

I am looking at recaps for the open quarters and I see that Impulse with 4 colorguard can be scored at a 22.10. I don't care about the score, but how can that be scored the same as a line that has 20 guard members. Wouldn't this make all corps think twice about having a full guard, or full hornline or drumline? How can a four member line be anything but perfect. What and how do you compare them to? Honest questions. I just don't get it. Everyone was worried about the lack of guard for the troopers and how it would hurt their score, yet it didn't really hurt the Impulse at all. Answers, comments? I really am just curious as to the scoring process.

Quantity does not always equal quality. Yes, a large guard can creat more GE, however the guard score is based on what the vocabulary and excellence of the guard regardless of how many members they have.

I just checked the recap. Impuse came in 21st in colorguard out of 21 corps.

Thats what I am saying. How does a small guard effect the overall score. Do you think they score higher with more guard or will numbers ( not as clean ) hurt them? This goes back to Troopers also. I understand that they might be the best four in the world, but is their a fair way to judge them. If you only take four ( I don't know if that is their case ), you really don't have a whole lot to clean. As far as their placement, I didn't care. I don't have a horse in this race, just a cat, and he is curious. :wink:

Not really trying to highjack the thread, but can't you say the same thing about drumlines? Should a line with 10 snares be evaluated the same as a line with 7? Afterall, 7 snares should be cleaner.

First, the 22.10 is the total visual score which was 18th out of 22 when you include Strangnas. The guard score was 12.70 which was 21st out of 22.

Having a small guard definately creates challenges in being effective visually. It will affect the GE as well as visual score. But in judging guard to guard scores within the caption, it shouldn't matter if you have 4 or 24. The judging is of what you are doing and how well you are doing it. It doesn't say how many people are doing it, however, I think a small guard gets hit a bit when it comes to the number no matter how clean they are.

First, the 22.10 is the total visual score which was 18th out of 22 when you include Strangnas. The guard score was 12.70 which was 21st out of 22.

Having a small guard definately creates challenges in being effective visually. It will affect the GE as well as visual score. But in judging guard to guard scores within the caption, it shouldn't matter if you have 4 or 24. The judging is of what you are doing and how well you are doing it. It doesn't say how many people are doing it, however, I think a small guard gets hit a bit when it comes to the number no matter how clean they are.

OK, that explains it somewhat. I just wasn't sure how the judges look at guards, or snare lines of differing sizes and compare them. Guards of this size ( of which, I have never seen smaller ) would seem to lack a lot in GE but more than make up in cleanliness. I never said they didn't deserve placements given, nor that someone else deserved better. I just wanted to hear from others what they think should happen, in how an extremely small number of participants should affect the score, both positively and negatively. Sorry if I ruffled some troll feathers......

Not really trying to highjack the thread, but can't you say the same thing about drumlines? Should a line with 10 snares be evaluated the same as a line with 7? Afterall, 7 snares should be cleaner.

I do think the same about drumlines to a point. Guard is somewhat the presentation of the idea of a show, whereas the drumline are part of the music. Two snares can be more than enough if there aren't that many horns. Case in point, without even looking at the captions I think that the drumline for Racine is big enough and I think they are pretty talented. I don't think they needed any more people in the snare line, ( some bass drums , maybe ), but the snares were fine. If they had Blue Devils horn line, then they need more snares. Overall, I think the corps I saw in open were pretty darn good.