Is narration dead now?

I hope every corps uses the tools they think best, and if it includes narration, fine. Less is not more "just because". Narration doesn't clutter anything up if used well. I liked the Cadets use best last year, but this year was OK too, at least when I saw them.

So, you didn't think the writing was bad, hackneyed or trite?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George gets his flak because he keeps trying to cram it down everyones throats, and when people complain, he chooses to dismiss them as close minded and anti innovation.

George also gets grief because the writing is straight-up Bad, with a capital "B."

I'm not sure if good writing would fix the problem, but at least it would be a start. I still find it unfathomable that an organization predicated on greatness like Cadets would allow sub-par writing to taint an otherwise superior product.

Why does everyone think the Bluecoats only use narration for effect. I heard plenty of talking during their show that was not simply for an effect.

It seems that people are okay with narration as long as it is not coming from the Cadets.

Blue Coats use small clips of words for effect not narration. Nothing was narrated there was no narrator. The effects they use energize thier shows and don't bogggg them down. Yea I'd rather they not use any electro gadgets at all but if I have to hear it I like the way the Coats use it. I don't need any long sppeches from the field.

Edited by Kansan

I hope that mic'd narration is done with. I enjoy Phantom's yell and such, not just not a big fan of it on the mic.

Narration is just one small aspect of a show. There are many other things (music, drill, program, execution) that just are not as high as a small handful of other corps. Nice try, though. Cadets are still a great corps. Its not like they dropped out of finals.

Well, Cadets are making Narration 1/3 to 1/2 their show. And as the broadcasters were saying, it was distracting and you could tell they didn't think the show was real strong this year. If Cadets would go back to their roots a little, they might find themselves a rising star again and not a sinking ship.

IMO, Coats could lose about 10 lines, especially from the mumbly bad Mickey impersonator and it would help.

like Dennis said...if used right, it works. George hasn't found right. It's almost like he thinks more is better, and in hindsight, less is more.

But Boston 04, Yowza, the Rent show...all too much. whats funny is the number of corps who did use it that got away from it since their turn blew up.

George gets his flak because he keeps trying to cram it down everyones throats, and when people complain, he chooses to dismiss them as close minded and anti innovation.

I guess he better look at most of World Class now, because their shows are, by and large, closed minded and old school when it comes to this...and thrilling fans.

And your last comment is why I liked watching quater finals this year. I didn't have that sick feeling in my stomach like the last couple years.

So that proves that we don't have BOA or USSBA up here in Canada because I just assumed it was there, it was omnipresent and it was universally accepted. At least that was an impression I formulated based on some of the threads here.

Very interesting - thanks.

One of the bands I teach competes in ussba. When we told them that there would be some narration in between the opener and ballad, they didnt even bat an eye. We might as well have been talking about a drill move or a new rifle toss. Granted, this does not mean that the kids LIKE narration...it just means they dont really care, and they dont see things on a cosmic scale of good and evil as those on dcp do....

One of the bands I teach competes in ussba. When we told them that there would be some narration in between the opener and ballad, they didnt even bat an eye. We might as well have been talking about a drill move or a new rifle toss. Granted, this does not mean that the kids LIKE narration...it just means they dont really care, and they dont see things on a cosmic scale of good and evil as those on dcp do....

That is because many band kids don't really even care about band...if you are in a Drum Corps you are there because you WANT to be. Of course a bunch of kids that don't really give a crap in general wouldn't give a crap about some narration...