Not since Star - 1991

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that as a consumer, I was DCI's worst nightmare. As long as there was a telecast, I never bought a video or DVD. Well, except for the "Legacy" DVDs, which I have up through the mid-'90s. This will be the first time I've bought an honest-to-God current-season DVD . . . and I can't wait!

Should restore some faith to the 4-9 corps always behind the other three that the lock is broken. This is good for everybody. Look out for Crown, SCV, Bluecoats and Blue Stars. They are all chomping at the bit.

OK, you lost me on this top-3 thing.

First of all, Star was third in 1990, so they were a top-3 corps immediately prior to winning in '91. But there have been a number of corps since then that have won without having placed in the top three the previous season ('94 BD, '95 Cavaliers, '05 Cadets, and if you count ties, '96 PR and '00 Cadets). Am I missing your point?

First of all, Star was third in 1990, so they were a top-3 corps immediately prior to winning in '91. But there have been a number of corps since then that have won without having placed in the top three the previous season ('94 BD, '95 Cavaliers, '05 Cadets, and if you count ties, '96 PR and '00 Cadets). Am I missing your point?

The top 3 he is talking about are BD, Cavies and Cadets. they have combined to win every title (sans the ties in 1996 & 1999) from 1992 to 2007. You should throw out 2000 as well as that was a tie too.

1992 - Cavies

1993 - Cadets

1994 - BD

1995 - Cavies

1996 - BD & Phantom (Tie, doesn't count)

1997 - BD

1998 - Cadets

1999 - BD & SCV (Tie, doesn't count)

2000 - Cadets & Cavies (Tie, shouldn't count either)

2001 - Cavies

2002 - Cavies

2003 - BD

2004 - Cavies

2005 - Cadets

2006 - Cavies

2007 - BD

:tongue: I believe I'll invest in the Regiment video yearbook this time, too.

Should count 96 since Regiment wasn't even top 3 after Quarterfinals that year LOL

I think people are not understanding the point of this thread. The OP stated that this is the FIRST time since 1991 that a corps has won an OUTRIGHT title (no tie) besides Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Cadets. Cavs, BD, Cadets are STILL the big 3. Like it or not. And most don't like it, but facts don't lie. They have more top 3 shows and have won or shared every title from 1992 to 2007. Phantom's win this year broke that. Their title was the first since Star of Indiana's 1991 title (a solo title, no tie) that a corps not of the "big 3" fame has won outright.

It has nothing to do with whether you were top 3 the year before or not. It has everything to do with winning a solo championship and not being named BD, Cavs, Cadets.

Yep.

Three corps....since 1991....one of these ------> BD, Cadets and Cavies have won the DCI Championship. Two years had ties....SCV and BD in 1999 (see....still a BD championship) and BD and PR in 1996 (see.....still a BD championship)

So, I am pointing out that since 1991, this is the first time a corps other than BD, Cavies and Cadets have won the title.

Sorry if the original post was confusing to you....but, hey...thanks for keeping the thread going!

Edited by Tom Brace

So, I am pointing out that since 1991, this is the first time a corps other than BD, Cavies and Cadets have won the title.

With the exception of two of the three "tie" years, you are correct.

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused, too! :tongue: