Who found BDB's 2nd place a shock?

They where doing so good through the year just to lost to SCVC by .05. With no disrespect to SCVC I thought that BDB should have gotten 1st.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of people may have thought that, but the guys in green get to decide for us.

Alot of people may have thought that, but the guys in green get to decide for us.

True. The guys in green decide who wins. I didnt see the show but I was still shocked. Not saying SCVC didnt deserve to win. Just that I was shocked. Still, it wasnt the biggest shock of the day. That would come much later at the WC finals. All in all, I think that judging is always going to be very subjective (by its very nature) and a corps has to win and therefore another corps must be behind them (notice I didnt use the word lose). The personal problem I have with judging is that I believe the system is somehow flawed. Unfortunately, I have been thinking about it all day and can't think of a better way for the men and women in green to do their business. Maybe one of the great things about this amazing activity is that we as fans (and some members/support) all have our opinions to fall back on for justification when our corps doesnt do as well as we had hoped. When I called my source about the performance of my favorite corps (Teal Sound) in finals, I told them that I didnt care about the score they received as long as they had a great run. In the end, I hope that the members/staff of BDB felt like they had a great run and just didnt get the credit for that great run. Makes it easier for me to digest and I hope it makes it easier for them. Either way, they have a lot to be proud of this year.

Going by the close proximity of the scores going into finals, I don't think it was too shocking. But if I were a member of BDB, I'd be appalled.

From the recaps it looks like they got screwed pretty hard in percussion. Neil Fox (Perc 2) had them within a tenth of Vanguard Cadets but Neil Sylvia (Perc 1) had them at a .7 spread.

From the recaps it looks like they got screwed pretty hard in percussion. Neil Fox (Perc 2) had them within a tenth of Vanguard Cadets but Neil Sylvia (Perc 1) had them at a .7 spread.

Well, maybe next year they should work a little harder to get the percussion up to par. LOL j/k

BDB was great this year...as were several other groups. With this level of competition, anything can happen..and it did!

It has to be somewhat disheartening for the BDB to see that someone could close a 1.35 point gap that quickly, allowing for your own score to rise at the same time. I thought BDB was pretty unbeatable in this class, but others including my son, ( who saw SCVC ) thought differently. So I don't know that I could say the judges messed up, or the corps thought it was in the bag, while SCVC thought they better work that much harder to catch them. I honestly hope it was on the up and up, but to be a Devils fan, A or B, had to be really hard this last week. I can't and won't discredit SCVC for the win, I wasn't there.

Who found BDB's 2nd place finish shocking ? :wub:

I'm sure THEY DID !!!!

:wub::tongue::wub::smile::eh::wub::smile::wub::smile::blink::smile:

This that infamous Vanguard Class?

chapeau d'âne

Yeah, I was shocked ... Who wouldn't be. I think the only time BDB lost to SCVC this year was Stockton.

Disappointed? Well, yes and no. Mostly disappointed that I didn't make it to World Class Finals. As far as the Championship, BDB's show was beautiful, and they had a great corps this year, but the Vanguard Cadets also had a great corps and came out of the starting gate with some incredible marching technique this year. Also, I know what Surf is capable of, and look for more good things to come from them in future seasons.

I'll be satisfied that we kept it in the Bay Area this year, and offer congrats to all!