Some Stats for Review!

I don't know how practical this is, but maybe the judges should just take notes during the show and then assign scores afterword - or even just assign a rank instead of a score.

In a manner of speaking, this is something Jeff Fiedler proposed a year or two ago. He proposed that rather than assign a numerical rating, they just assign a numerical ranking (i.e. the ordinal value of their placement) and then use the ordinals as the way of determing the winner.

I know the proposal got voted down, but I don't think there were ever any notes posted about the discussion that led to the vote against it.

I am assuming that it could have had something to do with the fact that when you only use the whle number ordinal value, you have a greater possibility of ties. Additionally, you end up dealing with the disparity between certain portions of shows. For instance, if one corps' show is head-and-shoulders above the competition visually, but about even musically, you can't reflect that in an ordinal except to say they ended up #1 in visual but #2 or #3 in music. The true difference in quality, content, and performance cannot be effectively translated onto the scorers sheet wehn limited by only being able to use whole number value rankings. It also creates an issue of giving the corps a barometer over the course of the year as to how they are progressing.

All in all, I think tjere are just too many pitfalls with simply assigning a rank.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, even Jeff Fiedler voted against it, the same year he proposed it. I don't think there was much support for an ordinal system.

If I recall correctly, even Jeff Fiedler voted against it, the same year he proposed it. I don't think there was much support for an ordinal system.

Under such as system (ordinals) there could potentially be a 4-way tie for first place! Imagine what the crowd would do if that happened!