How did the Div III corps benefit?

I don't think it really helped anyone other then the middle of the pack corps. For instance, SCVC, BDB, Surf, Teal, all have healthy membership, and have for quite awhile. So if they fail it's likley a managment or monetary issue (by fail I mean fold). Small corps ie Scouts, Targets, Spirt, all seem to stuggle yearly with membership, and probibly will continue to do so. Even if the corps if financially sound, they still can't draw the kids, or the crowds. I'm not saying it's impossable for a big group to dwindle (spartans) or a small group to flourish (mandrins) I'm saying it's the exeption. The small group I think it helps are those on the brink either way. Impulse, Raiders, 7th, etc. The bottom end of finals/semis. I think it draws more attention to them and helps recruiting. Let's face it DCI can call it what they want, but their are still 3 divisions. Kids from small corps will move to bigger more competitive corps. Small corps stay small because they can't draw the competitve staff, or members. Been that way for years. Until DCI wakes up and gives these smaller groups a little press it's a dead issue. Open class = less money = second class from a buisness stand point to them. Take even the winners this year in open class, the race to the finish was just as close as World, SCVC upset BDB at the last minute, just as Phantom did. There are 100,000 more posts on hear about Phantom, most people probibly didn't even know SCVC won Open, and DCI.org virtually ignores Open Class, and when they do admitt that they exist it's a Cadet corps, or a front runner. I'm not saying take a full page on a small group, but a nod in their direction wouldn't hurt every once and awhile. Either way there are 3 distinct levels of compotition, we've simply eliminated the ability for small/young groups to compete on an equal playing field. Surf had an average age of 18, Scouts looked in the 14-15 range, do the math.

Edited by pvt_cairns

pvt cairns i agree with everything you said and that is the sad reality. there is one exception...i hate to keep referring to my own corps, but you said that small corps cant draw the competitive staff. spokane thunder this year had all new staff and very few of them had even heard of this drum corps. we place 7th this year compared to making semi's in div III as our previous best. there are other corps through out the years that have done this. but it is true how you say that it is the exception.

vk was clearly not helped by this open class shift. in div III they would have been a finalist

I'm so sure how I feel about the whole feeling of "getting screwed out of a medal" as mentioned before. As a member of Citations, it feels great to be competing so close to the other corps who we always have felt have been "out of our league." Literally. With this shift, sure, we didn't get a medal, but hey, we're up there. Just wait till next year!

vk was clearly not helped by this open class shift. in div III they would have been a finalist

No... They would have had to place in the top three in the former Divison III or get one of the next top 6 highest scores (regardless of division). They would have missed finals either way.

Something else to consider- there'll be at least one fewer "big" corps when Jersey Surf makes the leap up next year.