Bluecoats 'Boxer'/tune we hear a lot of these days

It occurred to me this morning that the musical interlude played just before the Bluecoats set up on the sideline to blast 'The Boxer', was the same as the interlude in the original Simon and Garfunkel recording. And it used the same first five notes (mi so do re mi) as a song we hear a lot these days... can you name it?

Of course someone may have already covered this (it's been almost 40 years since 'the boxer').... and maybe Paul Simon didn't really have this in mind (I had a music professor show us how there is absolutely no 'new' music written these days).

I'll have the answer for you later.

It occurred to me this morning that the musical interlude played just before the Bluecoats set up on the sideline to blast 'The Boxer', was the same as the interlude in the original Simon and Garfunkel recording. And it used the same first five notes (mi so do re mi) as a song we hear a lot these days... can you name it?

Of course someone may have already covered this (it's been almost 40 years since 'the boxer').... and maybe Paul Simon didn't really have this in mind (I had a music professor show us how there is absolutely no 'new' music written these days).

I'll have the answer for you later.

...jingle all they wayyyy......?

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot Leo Arnaud's "Bugler's Dream", AKA the Olympic fanfare - not to be confused with John Williams'"Olympic Fanfare and Theme".

-Patrick

Edited by Patrick McNeal

Incidentally, and I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, it's also the beginning of Carolina Crown's 2007 show.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Boy does that clear some cobwebs. I remember thinking the same thing about that tune years ago.

Phantom's ballad..the first 6 notes are the same and almost the same rhythm as the Beginning od "Stormy Weather".

the words are "Sing once again with me Our strange duet My power over you grows

match note for note with "You are my hiding place, You always fill my heart with songs..."

listen here

or

http://www.my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/hiding.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Lloyd Webber was sued for the main theme of Phantom ( and I believe he lost the case) by a Catholic music Composerm Ray Repp.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C1A96E958260

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ano

Also, did you know that every poem of Emily Dickenson's can be sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas"?

Oops, almost forgot Leo Arnaud's "Bugler's Dream", AKA the Olympic fanfare

Urgh...don't remind me...the middle section of that got SO watered for the Games this year...it used to have MUCH more of an arpeggio in it...now it's practically a tonguing exercise on teh same pitch.

- not to be confused with John Williams'"Olympic Fanfare and Theme".

-Patrick

I was able to play that in the Griffiss AFB Community Band back in the 80s....FUN!!

We have a winner!!!!!!

Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare

Sorry. Close, but no Olympic medal for you in Ear Training.

However the first FOUR notes of Bugler's Dream match, intervallically and rhythmically, the first four notes of O Canada. A fact that escaped the promoters of the Montreal Olympics in 1976.

There is a drum corps tie to the original Simon & Garfunkel recording of The Boxer.

Hal Blaine, the most-recorded drummer in music history, and a drum corps alum, played percussion on the hit.

To produce the huge boom heard in the chorus, Blaine slammed a chain on a concrete floor.

When I interviewed Blaine a few years back he told me he grew up playing drums in a Catholic drum & bugle corps out east.

Edited by Northern Thunder