Bigger sticks

vferrera

I think the first one is a no brainer..? Different implements of course open the door to volume for one (tenor mallets vs. sticks...), but I might say more importantly different timres and dynamic ranges (snare dreadlocks vs hot rods vs finger thimbles ($1 scott johnson) ). But if you're talking JUST about sticks - I guess its sort of a preference thing. Some lines just have a good enough quality of sound to appear louder, even if they're using "weaker" sticks. I could be using Delucia sticks (heaviest I can think of.. ? anyone?), but if I'm not hitting the #### center of the head it won't matter will it?

In terms of control, I'd say sticks these days are pretty optimal. Industry will always be looking for the "next great thing" or next innovation, but weight distribution, length, beefiness are all generally similar per dynamic sound. obviously you wouldnt break out some timbale sticks for an impact or something.

this topics kindve a toss up for me. I have my prefs, I think everyone does..? (no IP implements for me!!) , and thats about as far as I can take this one.

Would bigger/heavier drumsticks make it easier to play loud? Are the current sticks optimal in terms of control and dynamics? Has anyone tested this systematically?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but big, heavy sticks are easier for me to control ... But I've pretty much been playing with one DeLucia model or another since bitd (the originals were like sawed-off tree trunks, with a squirrel living inside of 'em.) I'm currently using a pair of Vic Firth DeLucias (the heavy ones, not the light model), and haven't tried the ProMarks (Don't play that much anymore so a pair will last for years.)

And yeah, they're loud ... also easier (for me) to control.

I do like playing with ProMark Ralph Hardimon sticks as well, but the Jeff Moore's are just too light for me.

Guess it's what you get used to ...

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Are you talking about sticks just for snare volume? Or Tenor volume also? With kevlar you just have to be careful. We all know ( or should know) that repetition even with a " relaxed touch " style is eventually bad for your joints and tendons.

I actually had tendon inflammation on tour ( 5'th year of 6 years marching ) even though all those years I played very light into the drum ( used a good amount of velocity but got out of the way of the stick). I really just practiced too much for 2 or 3 years. Really. And I was using heavy sticks ( vicfirth Ms2 ) that were specially made heavier than the normal model. That's what Crossmen used when Thurston was there.

It got soo bad that I could not even move my right wrist and had what I thought was joint problems but it was the muscle around the thumb. It got better ( actually better than it was before) after I did not drum for 3 months. The thing thathelped me was I took care of it on tour. I iced it every night on the bus and did exercises that strengthen the carpul tendons.

If I were you I would look at tuning first when trying to find volume.

Oh I also forgot to add that in the 80's and early 90's sticks were a whole lot heavier that they were when I marched. That all changed because of the kevlar head. Lookup the old regaltip sticks quantum -- and the original DC 10 ( not promark ).

Most of those sticks were soo heavy that they barely bounced. I think the best ones that had a great balance were the cappela sticks. I think that company is long gone though.

The DC10s weren't even the heavy ones.... There were DC17s (same series) and they were almost unusuable if you ask me. They were like playing with 2 by fours.

Oh I also forgot to add that in the 80's and early 90's sticks were a whole lot heavier that they were when I marched. That all changed because of the kevlar head. Lookup the old regaltip sticks quantum -- and the original DC 10 ( not promark ).

Most of those sticks were soo heavy that they barely bounced. I think the best ones that had a great balance were the cappela sticks. I think that company is long gone though.

The DC10s weren't even the heavy ones.... There were DC17s (same series) and they were almost unusuable if you ask me. They were like playing with 2 by fours.

I still have my 3S densiwood sticks--although I can't remember who made them (the markings are long gone). Nice, heavy sticks that I keep around for practice.

Note: I've no idea how they handle on kevlar. I've played on kevlar only with modern sticks. I found I had to defend myself from the rebound of every downstroke (scarred me for life, that experience) and I'm far too timid to attempt to use the 3Ses on kevlar heads.

If you want to be louder, get rid of those little-bitty, over-tightened 14" drums with their thick heads. Get your drum line some 15" snare drums and put some mylar - silver dot heads on 'em.

If you want to know what I'm talking about, find a recording of North Star's Chrome Wall or catch the New York Percussion Department at DCA I&E.

If you want to be louder, get rid of those little-bitty, over-tightened 14" drums with their thick heads. Get your drum line some 15" snare drums and put some mylar - silver dot heads on 'em.

If you want to know what I'm talking about, find a recording of North Star's Chrome Wall or catch the New York Percussion Department at DCA I&E.

so that 1 inch differential equals = "little-bitty"? lol...

so that 1 inch differential equals = "little-bitty"? lol...

No but I understand where they're coming from. Even I'm only 31 and never marched the 15"s in corps ( obviously) when I was in Jr. High we had old Ludwigs , 2 Slingerlands and one Premier ( with the top snare added) and those things are WAYYYYY heavier than any modern Pearl, Yamaha or premier I have marched. Imagine marching a snare made with 20 or 30 plys and steel hardware. And yes they were very loud even with plastic heads on them. I don't think some of those old recordings ( hearing the volume difference ) do them justice. You have to hear it in person.