Quick ECJ Question

Just wondering if we've heard anything for ECJ. There's a message on their home page saying "still inactive," but it it doesn't have a date, so I'm not sure if that was for last season or the upcoming one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really "in the know" but I assume that if ECJ was making another run for it, they'd make it as public as they can. So I say, they are going to remain inactive...until further notice

At the very bottom of the site it says, "The Jazz Is Staying Alive For 2009." I'm wondering if maybe they are still trying to come back, or if the site has simply just not been updated.

I have been in touch with a couple of people still actively trying to get the ECJ going again. I understand they have a place in Malden where they might revive their bingo game. I was told that the local high school band director (Malden) is interested in helping to develop the corps if it stays in Malden.

The big question, as with all of the corps, is money. :laughing:

Even if they were able to host Bingo once again, it would be highly unlikely that it would provide a significant amount of income, as since smoking was banned a couple of years ago, the revenue dropped immensely. As much as I would love love love to see my alma mater come back, I'm dubious about them hitting the road in 09 as it would take quite a while for them to make up the money they necessary to have any kind of touring schedule.

talking with some of the management there are plans to get things going again.. but its understood itll take a few years to get things going.

some of the idea tossed around were:

ecj becoming an all age corps which tom has agreed to the idea as long as there were enough interested parties.

maybe a winter line?!?!?

getting grants from local companies, who are known for their donations.

and of course theres still fundraising ideas being thrown around on the website.

and the general plan was if we can get enough grants in intime for 2009 then theyll attempt to field. if the process is a little slower than theyd like he said he'll try again in 2010

i stay in contact with the staff every now and then .. as recently as a few weeks ago

>>>>>>thats the idea so far.

if some of the ecj alum think a senior corps would float your boat let me know.. i have to get back to tom with some sort of plan

Edited by erictuba16

I have been in touch with a couple of people still actively trying to get the ECJ going again. I understand they have a place in Malden where they might revive their bingo game. I was told that the local high school band director (Malden) is interested in helping to develop the corps if it stays in Malden.

The big question, as with all of the corps, is money. :thumbup:

No disputing that the almighty dollar is a huge factor in getting the ECJ back on their feet. More fundamental to that, however, is the management, the vision and the plan for recruiting and retaining members and serving them at a high level. All the money in the world doesn't replace that kind of wherewithal... but it certainly helps support it! :laughing:

some of the idea tossed around were:

ecj becoming an all age corps which tom has agreed to the idea as long as there were enough interested parties.

maybe a winter line?!?!?

if some of the ecj alum think a senior corps would float your boat let me know.. i have to get back to tom with some sort of plan

I like this idea a lot!

You like the idea of skipping away from one organization and your debts there to start anew at DCA?

I'm not sure anyone said anything about skipping away from debts, but all-age weekend-only is a hang site cheaper proposition for running a drum corps. Don't be surprised if you see more inactive DCI corps come back with DCA.