Quick ECJ Question

I think ECJ has to figure out a lot out before they ever put out a drum corps again. For example, there last couple years of being an active drum corps showed how unstable they really were by putting there students on unsafe and unreliable buses.
just gotta do what it takes to get the job done, buses really werent that unsafe. they were old* but they got the corps to where they needed to be. .. but all the buses have been sold.

the big issue right now is looking for volunteers, and means of funding.

and the people will follow

Unreliable...yes. Unsafe...yes. The staff bus would not have been pulled over and taken by the police in Madison if it had not been unsafe. Also, being driven off the road into the median, fearing that the bus is going to tip over does not exactly match the definition of safe. Part of a bus being safe means having drivers that stay awake.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unreliable...yes. Unsafe...yes. The staff bus would not have been pulled over and taken by the police in Madison if it had not been unsafe. Also, being driven off the road into the median, fearing that the bus is going to tip over does not exactly match the definition of safe. Part of a bus being safe means having drivers that stay awake.

That is a dead issue now. Tom Chopelas made decsion that year tyhat the corps would always travel in chartered coasches when it got back on the road. Just like so many corps advertising for driners at tyhe last minute, drivers are hard to get today.

That is a dead issue now. Tom Chopelas made decsion that year tyhat the corps would always travel in chartered coasches when it got back on the road. Just like so many corps advertising for driners at tyhe last minute, drivers are hard to get today.

So true... but it's also true that $1000+ per day per chartered coach bus is hard to get today as well.

Erictuba and ronl

You guys remind me of kevin bacon in animal house when there is chaos in the streets and he is yelling all is fine!

Tom needs to think about repaying his debts to former staff members and whoever else is in line to be paid before he even thinks about moving to dca. Trust me, I'm sure the dca people know the $$$ situation he and ecj are in and won't be throwing down the red carpet for their arrival.

Erictuba and ronl

You guys remind me of kevin bacon in animal house when there is chaos in the streets and he is yelling all is fine!

Tom needs to think about repaying his debts to former staff members and whoever else is in line to be paid before he even thinks about moving to dca. Trust me, I'm sure the dca people know the $$$ situation he and ecj are in and won't be throwing down the red carpet for their arrival.

So milesdavis. You are in the know of ALL the Details of what the Debt situation are.

You know what is on the table when they (the EJC) when they are making decisions about things.

You know what DCA leaders MUST do.

Boy, I hope they make sure you are at the next meeeting, so all goes well, and along with YOUR Opinion.

(but then if they made a mistake YOU might have to take the some BLAME.

Let them make to some Decisions first.

THEN be as Negative as you like.

But till then.

We will ALL have to wait and see what they are going to do about: Past, Present, and Future, "Officialy".

Edited by OldStyleCorps

milesdavis. .. or should i call you by your real name?! your choice....

the thing you fail to realize, how do you repay old debts without starting things up again???

in general you need an organization or a purpose to raise funds for, you need people to join/ volunteer/ participate, you need creative solutions to turn things around. you could even go as far as suggesting a crazy idea as... ohh um a weekend senior corps to urmmm do shows.. parades.. <<things of that sort... to possibly raise money for the future of the corps.

im in a group right now that belongs to a private club, and we were left a back log of debts around 40,000 plus paying for the mortgage... so somewhere around 500,000.

now do you throw up your hands and say HOLY CR@P we cant do this anymore... its impossible. NO.. infact we were pushed harder this year to do more performances, fund raise, and creative solutions were brought to the table to get things to break even again, and infact we're on schedule to do so in january.

it takes dedication.

mylesdavis, i know and understand your complaint about the corps. but your means of attaining your paycheck and having a taste of bitterness is not helping those who are wanting things to get going again.. so perhaps in the future you can get your paycheck??.. dont knock it.. you may be surprised.

i dont expect you to bleed green as much as those who wore the uniform, i just ask you to respect those who do being that your a former instructor.

and for those who want to complain about spelling see my sig.

I have been away for the whole ecj scene for a while now and it is pretty sad to hear all of this. Even when I marched, I felt that the management could use a few more creative ideas. One of the things many people liked about the organization was that it was VERY inexpensive to be a member. I enjoyed this fact at the time, but always wondered how the group could possibly stay alive with such a low cost of membership and lack of fund raising elements other than the bingo games. I do not claim to know all of the ins and outs of the management, but this is how I saw it while I was there.

I agree that ECJ should go active whether in the capacity of a DCA corps or even temporarily a parade band that would get people marching in a low commitment group, but getting them out to the public and raising some funds. I agree with Eric that it is tough for alums to donate money to an organization that is not active in any way. That being said, if they were to go active I would gladly support their efforts.

Edited by ictrumpet

i have some inquizitive info..

many people relied on bingo to get them by financialy... bingo went down because of no smoking in PUBLIC** facilities. what about PRIVATE* establishments?? ive come across many private clubs and establishments that allow smoking, and could possibly harbor bingo games. just to make clear ive come across quite a few, but im sure its up to the owner whether to allow smoking or not.

now could a drum corps open up their own "private establishment" whether it means they have the patrons pay a fee of .01 or $1 for a membership fee?? im not sure if anyone has thought about this, or looked into what it would take to be associated with such a establishment (vfw, elks, eagles, moose and various other clubs)

wouldnt it be nice to bipass the no smoking ban and give drum corps a little boost. then again this could all be old news and im just a little late on the uptake.

wouldnt it be nice to bipass the no smoking ban and give drum corps a little boost. then again this could all be old news and im just a little late on the uptake.

Maybe the focus should be on finding a funding source that doesn't depend on gambling revenue.