Daycare at Finals

Finals Daycare  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of daycare set up at/near Finals in Indy?

• Awesome! Great idea! I'd take advantage!
    • Maybe...depends on the cost, the quality of daycare center, location, etc.
    • Nope..Not a good idea and not something I'd be interested in taking advantage of.

This would be perfect for the event. So then my question is, why would DCI have to be involved?

They don't I guess, except that somebody has to get the ball rolling and be kind of a central point of contact/marketing. Like for a convention, the convention sponsors will make the intial contact, lay out the times and approximate numbers and provide a link or other marketing ways to inform their customers and allow the company to market the kid's event using the convention logos and such. But this could be just as well organized by you or I, just that then they probably couldn't use the words "DCI" or the like in their marketing efforts to make it work -- kinda like how some advertisements around the Super Bowl use phrases like "Check us out for the Big Game" because they don't have permission to use the trademarked words "Super Bowl". So it's do-able, just harder to advertise and market without at least trademark/logo use apprvoal from DCI and maybe access to ticket-buyer lists.

Point is, though, that this is a step up from just having parents find their own day care services in Indy, which is another option, of course. This would have to be originally organized by someone ....

Edited by Liam

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't I guess, except that somebody has to get the ball rolling and be kind of a central point of contact/marketing. Like for a convention, the convention sponsors will make the intial contact, lay out the times and approximate numbers and provide a link or other marketing ways to inform their customers and allow the company to market the kid's event using the convention logos and such. But this could be just as well organized by you or I, just that then they probably couldn't use the words "DCI" or the like in their marketing efforts to make it work -- kinda like how some advertisements around the Super Bowl use phrases like "Check us out for the Big Game" because they don't have permission to use the trademarked words "Super Bowl". So it's do-able, just harder to advertise and market without at least trademark/logo use apprvoal from DCI and maybe access to ticket-buyer lists.

Point is, though, that this is a step up from just having parents find their own day care services in Indy, which is another option, of course. This would have to be originally organized by someone ....

I'm sure DCI and and IVCB would advertise something like this... probably for free.

I haven't read every post here, but I'm just going to put in my 2 cents anyway since I have kids and have had to deal with this. Some people are very judgemental about how easy it should be to get a relative to watch the kids, etc. Not everyone has healthy relatives or ones close by to make it feasible. However, I also agree that young children shouldn't be at a 5 hour $75+ per ticket event. A young couple came and sat near us at finals this year with an approx 3 year old boy who looked like he hadn't sat still for a minute in his life. Luckily, they moved on after a couple corps.

We've been going to finals since 1990 and have had children since 1997. We've had to do different things in different years. A couple years we did the "I'll go to semifinals, you go to finals" switchoff. Not tons of fun, but worked out okay since we knew other people going. For several years, we were able to find babysitters in the local city by doing some legwork. We did this in Madison, DC, and Boston. It was kind of like a "think of anybody you possibly know in DC and find out who they use to babysit" kind of thing. We were nervous leaving the kids with a stranger, but really, they all turned out to be fine. Check some references and you can get a feel if it sounds okay. With the Denver and Rose Bowl shows, we drove the kids to the grandparents 5 hours away, drove another 2 hours away to catch a plane, and had a week's vacation to ourselves. Frankly, they were safer in a hotel room with a babysitter. :-)

I guess the bottom line is you shouldn't have to give up going to shows, but you have to be a little creative in finding sitters. Maybe this daycare option would also work. I don't think DCI has to be involved with "sponsoring" it.

Ann

Don't most YMCA's have day care centers? Especially during the summer, they will have day/week camps for kids on a regular basis.

Possibly something to check out.

• 2 weeks later...
PS Just for fun, I sent off an e-mail to KinderCare in Indy. I got an auto-response within seconds stating I would have an answer to my question by Tuesday. I'll post their answer.

Here's an update on the KinderCare idea.

I can't say much more yet. I've received a couple of responses from the three locations I contacted. A couple indicated that they passed it on to the District Manager, but I have yet to hear from her. I guess I got on the mailing list, though, because I'm getting all kinds of e-mails about their services and special events.

Just sent a follow-up e-mail. I'll post updates as I hear anything.

Garry in Vegas

• 1 month later...

I'd help out if there were daycare there. I love kids. And watching the kids of drum corps fans would be like watching nieces and nephews. Family.

Not this thread, again? DCI is not in the childcare business. And be grateful for that.

Find your own baby sitters, or stay home with the kids if they're too little ... Spend the quality time with them now, while you have the chance!