Daycare at Finals

Finals Daycare  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of daycare set up at/near Finals in Indy?

• Awesome! Great idea! I'd take advantage!
    • Maybe...depends on the cost, the quality of daycare center, location, etc.
    • Nope..Not a good idea and not something I'd be interested in taking advantage of.

For some of us this isn't an option. That's why I started this topic.

I'm trying to find an option for other parents like myself who do not want to inconvenience or disturb others in the stands, but want to enjoy watching their corps perform.

There are no family members to watch your young ones while you go to finals? No family friends who can have them stay over for a couple days?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I volunteered DCI this past finals week. DONT GO WITH VOLUNTEER OPTION. Horrible planning and execution. A big mess.

As far as local in Indy: We have several KinderCare branches (google it) that would have the resources. I know there are more chains. A partnership with DCI could reap benefits for all. As I previously stated, many have drum corps as part of thier summer vacation and it makes more people able to go if trusted daycare was availiable. With DCI offices here now I bet they could find something at least for finals week. Even make some money off it and I would be okay with it.

Personally, I would only consider it an option if it was a licensed, well-established local facility. It was suggested that we hire a local college student this year at Bloomington, but I wasn't comfortable with that.

I can see it being a mutually beneficial relationship for DCI and whatever facility agreed. DCI could see an increase in ticket sales, and the center could make some extra cash.

Better idea, leave the tiny ones who aren't going to sit in their seats at home.

Not an option since my kids cannot cook yet. One of them cannot open doors yet. So leaving them at home (if I didn't live at finals) would not work. However, this thread is for a daycare option. It would derail that to start a meaningless discussion about kids not being at home.

I know it can be trying for people who fly to understand why some babies are fussy during flying but the air and other issues makes their ears pop and it scares them. My son's first airplane ride was to Boston he handled it like a champ. But it's not for all babies. Believe me when I say the parents are usually as uncomfortable as you are. Sometimes they can't leave them at home.

But I think this is a good idea as far as day care, I would consider this if it was a reliable place etc. Other then that, I would leave him with family, or I just would stay home and save my money.

I don't get parents who, when their child is fussy don't get up and leave so it doesn't disturb those around. It's usually one of these things, diaper change, hungry, tired or scared by the surroundings. :cool:

There are no family members to watch your young ones while you go to finals? No family friends who can have them stay over for a couple days?

I'm not sure why this is such a personal attack towards me, but no, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my 15 month old for several days 12 hours away in NY, not to mention my husband's family is either too old or lives in ITALY, and my parents work full time.

Leaving my child for a few hours at a safe, licensed center - a much better option to me.

Nope. Wife had to miss finals as I went. DCI lost a superpremium ticket right there.

The benefit to DCI being at the finals site is that they can vet many local daycares and personally vouch for one. DCI backing just the same as they back thier sponsors who do various activities. A partnership you could trust. As far as kids in public, I do make a point to remove my kids when disruptive however I just hate the insults and dirty looks as I do so. How dare I let her get a dirty diaper when you paid good money for...

Besides concerns about liability if any particular center is suggested by any particular organization...

How many day care centers stay open to close to midnight? The big shows don't get done by 5:00 pm.

Besides concerns about liability if any particular center is suggested by any particular organization...

How many day care centers stay open to close to midnight? The big shows don't get done by 5:00 pm.

That is why DCI should form a partnership with one. They got shuttle busses to run people to finals... why not a daycare center? Liability is a concern, but the YMCA pulls it off, why not DCI? Make money from the costs of daycare and maybe more people buy tickets!

EDIT: As I look at the poll, maybe it should be asking those who could take advantage of the idea. Childless users need not vote?

Edited by User412

Nope. Wife had to miss finals as I went. DCI lost a superpremium ticket right there.

The benefit to DCI being at the finals site is that they can vet many local daycares and personally vouch for one. DCI backing just the same as they back thier sponsors who do various activities. A partnership you could trust. As far as kids in public, I do make a point to remove my kids when disruptive however I just hate the insults and dirty looks as I do so. How dare I let her get a dirty diaper when you paid good money for...

Plus the year-over-year experience of some parents will help ease the concerns of other parents as to the quality of the facility, etc, etc. My guess is that something like this would be slow to catch hold but if DCI sticks with it would eventually become quite a boon.

Yeah, the dirty looks for doing what you're supposed to be doing when your kid gets uppity is an interesting reaction. The only thing that annoys me is when parents don't seem to care that their kid is annoying others, or worse, think it's just the cutest thing and how dare you be indignant at a baby just being a baby in public.

Wait a minute .... something just occurred to me ... I get annoyed at parents who don't think it's important to control their babies in public situations .... I think it's strange that some people feel as if they shouldn't even have to witness parents actually controlling their child ... wait ... there's a connection there ... what could it be ... wait .... GOT IT!!!

I DON'T LIKE SELFISH PEOPLE!!!!

Ahhhh, that was cathartic. Think I need a nap. :cool:

I'm not sure why this is such a personal attack towards me, but no, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my 15 month old for several days 12 hours away in NY, not to mention my husband's family is either too old or lives in ITALY, and my parents work full time.

Leaving my child for a few hours at a safe, licensed center - a much better option to me.

I'm with you here. My wife and I have taken our daughter (turning 3 next month) to a couple of shows and watched from upstairs away from other paying fans. We're close to an exit if we need to get her further away in a hurry.

I laughed out loud when I read in that 'other thread' about chasing a toddler up and down stadium ramps. I've been there, done that........and ours had a field day at a basketball game we took her to once. Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, TN has like 45 stairways going up to the upper level seating........who knew?

Our daughter has shown increasing interest in drum corps and I attribute that to old videos at home and also to taking her, when possible, to see drum corps in rehearsal where she can experience it very close up.

And Mike Boo......there are evening day care centers in many cities. My wife and I have used one out-of-town a couple of times...........there are, after all single moms who work second shifts.