Tenor Players Opinions

Kansan

Is there a standard Tenor drum configuration?

One of our drum guys keeps telling me our tenors need to be modified by getting rid of the spock drum and moving the outside most drums in more. I've been looking at Quad and Quint configurations and it seems that all brands of Tenors are arranged in the same configuration.(Same Stanard)

The claim is the outside drums are too far apart not allowing for quick playing.

Were Quads configured differently in the early 80's? I remember them being the same as today.

The only different configuration I've seen is Pioneer and their diamond tenor set ups a few years ago.

I'm thinking Drummers that join up and make the Tenor line will be expecting the standard configuration.

Any thoughts out there from Tenor Players.

The setup you see on the Pearl / Yamaha / Dynasty sites is the "standard" configuration, with the drums in an arc going drum 4(low) - 2 - 1 - 3, with the spock drum(s) in the center.

A great resource for tenor drum setup / technique / development is Bill Bachman's book "Quad logic" - it's $14, and he does cover drum spacing (including DIY ways of changing spacing if need be) and setup.

Hope that helps!

Mike

The setup you see on the Pearl / Yamaha / Dynasty sites is the "standard" configuration, with the drums in an arc going drum 4(low) - 2 - 1 - 3, with the spock drum(s) in the center.

A great resource for tenor drum setup / technique / development is Bill Bachman's book "Quad logic" - it's $14, and he does cover drum spacing (including DIY ways of changing spacing if need be) and setup.

Hope that helps!

Mike

That's cool. I'll look for that book on line and get A copy.

Our Drums are Dynasty with the frame before the current model they now sell.

Edited by Kansan

I ordered Bass Logic and Tenor Logic today.

I'll let you know if it helped us out.

Don't alter your drums. They're arranged in the standard 'arc' configuration, and it became standard for good reason.

First of all, the arc allows simplicity of movement. Going from the proper playing zone on any of the main drums to any other drum requires only side-to-side motion. If any of those four main drums were moved nearer or further away, the player would need to worry about front-to-back motion as well.

The arc shape also keeps each hand out of the other's way. Either hand can play on any of the four main drums, regardless of where the other hand is playing. But if you removed the spock and moved the bottom two drums toward the center, that may not be the case anymore. For example, if you tried to play left hand on #2 and right hand crossed over to #4, you could be smacking your left hand with a mallet.

Weight is also a relevant subject. If you were to push your #3 & #4 drums toward the center, it would push your #1 and #2 drums further away from the body. Weight carried further from the body is going to feel even heavier, and tenors are heavy enough as it is.

Lastly, the voice of the spock... It's a staple of modern tenor drumming and its sound can really punctuate your tenor writing.

Now, with all that said, there have been some different tenor configurations over the years, and different isn't necessarily wrong. The Madison Scouts' unconventional setup in 1990 is one example of a different layout. If you're going to try something different, I'd advise only doing so if you've got plenty of experience under your belt and specific reasoning for the change.

For example, if you tried to play left hand on #2 and right hand crossed over to #4, you could be smacking your left hand with a mallet.

Um...no. One has to realize that I played on a different set up. I have experience with a different set up and know what is and is not possible. I can attest to crossovers not being a problem.

Lastly, the voice of the spock... It's a staple of modern tenor drumming and its sound can really punctuate your tenor writing.

I think the spock is overrated. I don't find that it adds anything I really like to the sound. Call me old-fashioned....

Now, with all that said, there have been some different tenor configurations over the years, and different isn't necessarily wrong. The Madison Scouts' unconventional setup in 1990 is one example of a different layout. If you're going to try something different, I'd advise only doing so if you've got plenty of experience under your belt and specific reasoning for the change.

That's just it--there is a specific reason and I do have experience with it. Marched with it for three years after we replaced our triples all those years ago.

The question's moot at this point, though, as I stepped down as caption head. I've no idea what my replacement might want.