The last thing you want to do

Mike_L

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Lately I've been feeling that if I'm not at rehearsal, the last thing I want to do is pick up the sticks. But at the same time, I can't wait for the next rehearsal.

I don't know why I'm getting this feeling, because I love playing. I'm guessing it could be because playing by myself get's really boring. Or maybe it's because I don't have a well thought out practice schedule. Or maybe it's because I have so many distractions around me, like television and my computer.

My question is, do you get this feeling often or even at all? How many of you can actually play by yourself for hours every day without getting bored?

I hope I'm not alone with this.. O_o

Mike

P.S - I'm not complaining, whining, or asking for help, just incase it seems that way. I'm just curious if any of you get this feeling.

Yeah, sometimes I did. Give yourself a new challenge - something you can't do. This may motivate you to get back in the groove.

It's strange...I picked up my sticks 30 minutes ago and told myself, "You need this" to kind of motivate myself. Now I can't put the sticks down. O_o

Pretty odd, huh?

Mike

I find I have almost the opposite problem, I can't seem to go for an hour with out picking my sticks up and chopping out. Unless I just got back from camp or I just woke up, my sticks are always near me.

Try playing along to a song once in a while, it makes it so much more interesting. Better yet, play to a song in an odd time signature...a song in 7/8 is a lot more fun to play to than a song with your mundane, everyday backbeat. Unless it's Rush. :drool:

My whole world revolved around working on my car and playing drums when I was in corps. Girls were pretty high on the list as well. :sad: But I looked forward to playing all the time, and appreciated the times i had the house to myself so I could really cut loose on my drum set.

I really didn't always sit down and focus on playing "corps style" all the time... I practiced my drum set when I practiced my drum set, and I practiced corps style drumming when I practiced music and parts of the show. I always enjoyed applying what I learned in corps to the drum set, and would just let reckless abandon rule when I was doing that.

I guess this will sound kind of mean, but it sounds to me like you sort of want all the coolness of being in the corps experience without doing any of the homework that will keep you on top of your game. We had a guy like that in one of the corps I was in... said he never practiced at home.

He played like he never practiced at home, too. :drool:

Whenever I used to get bored I would work on "silent flams". The most difficult rudiment (if you want to call it that) that I ever played. It was kind of like the perc version of a tounge twister. I've seen some snare drummers who can execute them, but I've never seen it done in unison. I don't in any way mean to sound patronizing, but that's when you drop the tap and bring the accent arm down without touching the drum and then switch hands. That always drove me crazy, but it was fun. :drool:

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Lately I've been feeling that if I'm not at rehearsal, the last thing I want to do is pick up the sticks. But at the same time, I can't wait for the next rehearsal.

I don't know why I'm getting this feeling, because I love playing. I'm guessing it could be because playing by myself get's really boring. Or maybe it's because I don't have a well thought out practice schedule. Or maybe it's because I have so many distractions around me, like television and my computer.

My question is, do you get this feeling often or even at all? How many of you can actually play by yourself for hours every day without getting bored?

I hope I'm not alone with this.. O_o

Mike

P.S - I'm not complaining, whining, or asking for help, just incase it seems that way. I'm just curious if any of you get this feeling.

I tuck a pad and sticks away in my gear so when I am out in the field and manage to get some down tome, whip out an MRE and play as I'm eatin.

I think I was always a bit weird in that regard. I actually like the solitary moments of drumming. I woulld load up my tenors or snare and go to an isolated place and just play. There used to be a Robbie Robinson ad that stated he would march around a track or something holiding a solid open roll for a mile. I decided if it that was good for Robbie, I could do it too-so I did-many times. The odd thing is once the weather changed and I needed to be learning music I was a bit less dedicated. I think one of the problems was there were no tenor pads back in the day and it was a real annoyance to layout books in a quint formation and keep them from moving. Ah.... the good old days.

My instructor always says "Practice with yourself, and practice with a friend."

He says practice with a friend because you can both see where you are making mistakes and who is dirty which means you know what you need to practice to get better.