Silent Brass question

SueBariEuph

Does anyone know whichs silent brass mute fits the Yamaha YBH-301m Baritone and which fits the King 1129sp Euphonium?

I would go with the Euphonium one, most euphs have 11'' or 12'' bells, so it's pretty standard. As far as a baritone...maybe the trombone version would fit?

I love mine, it's a very cool idea and has a microphone in it so you can hook up headphones and listen to yourself, and it really is silent. Great for practicing at 2 in the morning.

I would go with the Euphonium one, most euphs have 11'' or 12'' bells, so it's pretty standard. As far as a baritone...maybe the trombone version would fit?

Try before you buy. The bell diameter is inconsequential, because the mute fits to the bell throat.

I just found out that the Trombone Silent brass mute does NOT fit the YBH-301M Baritone. It was too loose. Unfortunately the store didn't have the Euphonium model to try.

The Euph Mute is 4" at it's smallest end. Which does NOT fit MOST Baritones. Well sort of does if you hold it snug while you play. The trombone and bass trombone ones have more flare than padding, so they don't fit baritones either. I rigged up a JoRal Bass Trombone practice mute with some extra padding for a baritone though. In that case, an old bicycle inner tube sliced and diced and wrapped around a few times.

I just play Euphonium and use the Euphonium Practice Mute. No problems there. Aside from the mute weighing as much as the horn. And taking up half of the suitcase on trips.

• 3 weeks later...

While this thread is here, quick question of my own about Silent Brass: I've heard the sound quality through it is very different than without (of course, this is from someone who never really listens to himself play). Is it actually significant enough to matter in the long run, in your opinions?

Edited by KingDubya