Capital Regiment's Return

Funny how we complain there aren't enough corps around anymore and when one tries to come back...we pick apart all the reasons they shouldn't be allowed back. Let them get going a little and see what they got before we cast them off for the sins of their past.

:lol::thumbup:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually do not post on DCP unless I start it. I do feel however I need to comment before this turns crazy.

I have been in drumcorps both as a member and an instructor for over 20 years. I have been involved in both DCA and DCI. I am currently celebrating my 26th year in the military first as a Marine in the the MCAGCC Drum and Bugle Corps from 29 Palms CA., to now where I am a leader in the largest Army National Guard Band in the Country. I was in the Active duty Army following my Marine time for 14 years, ending as a tour director with the Army Field Band from Washington DC before my current assignment as the Readiness NCO (also Active Duty) of the 122nd Army Band in Ohio. I plan to retire here. I have been lucky enough to have Commanders that would allow me to do drumcorps while serving active duty in the past and in the present.

I will be a huge part of Capital Regiment this year. I have been working with Rick for over a year and a half developing a relationship that will make sure all the right things are in place for the corps to come out in 2009. Rick and I talk on a daily basis now. As well as me showing up at the bingo hall without notice bothering him. I am truly excited about the opportunity to get Cap Reg back on tour.

One of our biggest accomplishments has been creating a team environment with the both of us. Rick and the BOD have worked hard to even have a Drumcorps. As stated in earlier post, the corps traveled fast from the Winterguard phase to a competing corps that ended in 2006. The corps has a bingo hall, food trailer, equipment trailer, horns, percussion, and guard equipment and uniforms. This was not an easy task to complete. Ask anyone who has ever tried to start a drumcorps. We have created a great working team. Defining his side of the fence and my side of the fence. Teams are easy to come by, but good teams are hard to come by. WE have a good team. Those out there that know me know I speak whats on my mind. It's the Sergeant in me. Sometimes it's not easy to hear. And the same goes for me when I hear what I don't want to hear. I adapt overcome and charge forward. That's what we are doing at Capitol Regiment. Sometimes teams don't work. Ok, I get it. Lets move on. The one in place now does.

Rick and crew have worked hard at building a successful bingo program and other fundraising activities to raise money for the upcoming tour. WE have also worked hard and are finalizing a great staff of professionals and educators to teach the corps in 2009. I can tell you the staff comes from Ohio, Texas, Michigan and Georgia. All are great at what they do and announcements will be made soon. As of now the only announcement has been we are recruiting. Just about everything about the future of CR on this thread has been guess at best. Most have been wrong guesses.

Anyone interested in what is going on with Capital Regiment should check the web site for announcements. We will brief the corps at the first camp. Just like every other corps does. Members, parents, supporters and volunteers will get all of their questions answered and the member will have a great experience. That is what we are all here for. I would not be a part of this corps if I didn't think I could deliver that.

I am asking all negative speakers to chill a bit. Let Capital Regiment get back on it's feet. You had a bad experience either as a marcher supporter or a staff member. I got it. I have been there. Let the future members be your gauge.

I am open to discussions privately with anyone.

Give us a chance to prove Capital Regiment will be a safe, educating and rewarding experience for the future members of the corps. And you know what.. The audience will LOVE it TOO!!

Carl Diefenbach

AWESOME JOB!!! AWESOME POST!!! :thumbup:

What I'm seeing in this thread are two groups: one that has a reasoned interest in having Capital Regiment articulate what things are in place to ensure the problems of the past aren't repeated so the corps can have a successful future; and one that believes the first group is mired in the past and is only interested in torpedoing the corps' future.

The second group is coming across as very defensive and overemotional. A fundamentally healthy startup organization shouldn't have any trouble addressing the essential elements brought up, and if I were involved in the effort, I'd be using every opportunity to articulate specific, concrete reasons why things will be successful. Hand-wringing and saying that it's not fair to ask tough questions smacks of sweeping problems under the rug. Again, if I were trying to bring Cap Reg back, I'd be welcoming the tough questions and putting everyone's concerns to rest. But it's not my job--it's Rick Bays' job along with the rest of his team.

I wish them well. Really.

Well spoken, sir.

I don't know where I would fall into the two groups idea.

I don't know Rick Bays all that personally. He helped a corps out of a bad position 10 years ago. For me that says a lot. I'd be doing the same if this was Greg Orwell or Roman Blensky or Scott Stewart. All have helped corps I've been involved with at one time or another.

I get the points people are trying to make here. I recieved many PMs on both sides of the issues.

Tough questions have been asked. The answers to these questions will no doubt occur in Columbus during I would guess an audtion camp. I would guess it would be a great way to start the camp off....clean the slates as it were.

To me...those perspective new CR families should be asking tough questions of ANY organization that is going to oversee their sons' and daughters' summer. In essence, this isn't just about CR.

In some ways it still is though. And some folks are not giving the organization another opportunity without substantial changes.

First of all, all of us did not have the same experience you had. Secondly you and your friends that you marched with (this is my assumption of the "we" you use) may have the same feeling about things, but don't lump the rest of us with you.

I personally don't feel that the corps owes me anything.

I agree. Please don't think for a second that the views and opinions of these people represent the majority of alumni just because they are louder than the rest.