Top 10 or Class A Champion

If nothing else, it helped them have a happier finals night. Having never been in the situation, it's hard to really get a good feel for this but for me I still say I would want to be crowned Champion. I still think and it's just my opinion, that at this time the point is moot.

I dunno, 2nd place ended up being mofre fun that 1st did.

5th was even crazier

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

other than bragging rights, what does that champion status bring? does it draw more bodies? How many of the recent class a winners have done gonzo recruiting because they claimed a title?

Sun?

Sky?

Grennies?

Chops?

Heatwave?

Chieftains?

Generations?

so tell me....excluding Grennies because they seem to like being A class sized, what has the word CHAMPION done for most of these groups?

Jeff,

As a former member of the Grenadiers I can tell you that they are not choosing the Class "A" status because they want to be there just to win the class but it's a starting point like many other Corps just to get back on the field. The goal of many Corps in Class "A" including the Grenadiers, i'm sure is to eventually get into the Open Class competition but if their membership numbers are lower then what would be considered a fighting chance to compete at the higher level why not start in Class "A". I am very proud of the Grenadiers for making it back onto the field this year and wish them and all the Corps the best of luck for a fun, safe and successful weekend.

Jeff,

As a former member of the Grenadiers I can tell you that they are not choosing the Class "A" status because they want to be there just to win the class but it's a starting point like many other Corps just to get back on the field. The goal of many Corps in Class "A" including the Grenadiers, i'm sure is to eventually get into the Open Class competition but if their membership numbers are lower then what would be considered a fighting chance to compete at the higher level why not start in Class "A". I am very proud of the Grenadiers for making it back onto the field this year and wish them and all the Corps the best of luck for a fun, safe and successful weekend.

Jeff A. If you read the whole thread you will see that I asked Jeff R. for a clarification and he meant to say Govies not Grennies.....no harm no foul!! Have a great week-end..can't wait for those prelims scores to start rolling in!!! :rock:

Jeff A. If you read the whole thread you will see that I asked Jeff R. for a clarification and he meant to say Govies not Grennies.....no harm no foul!! Have a great week-end..can't wait for those prelims scores to start rolling in!!! :rock:

Thank you for letting me know, I somehow must have missed that post by Jeff R.

My bad Jeff.

Enjoy the weekend as well both of you.

or is asking too hard to do?

And what am "I" supposed to be asking? 22-34 members and all. In the eyes of DCA I don't even exist. So why would I ask about their rules? They don't even apply to me. I get the same score / consideration whether I'm a winterguard, winter drumline, drumcorps, or baton twirling assocaition. Not trying to sound like a Richard. But thems the only rule(s) I need to be aware of. Until something changes none of the "other" rules apply to me and my circumstance. So why ask about them?

-----

Champion has it's perks, but so do all of the other placements. On first and not last place, not in finals, but not last place either. All the perks of being spectator, without the dilema of having no performance outlet. Plus tons of pics / videos / hang time (may vary depending on the weather).

If a Class A corps makes it into the top 10 in prelims, they are automatically reclassified as an Open Class corps and compete in the Open Class finals. Why? Because the Class A corps voted to do it that way :)

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard! The first Class A corps that gets screwed out of a championship because of this rule will immediately push to have this rule changed, mark my words. Personally I'd rather have a championship than come in last place in Open Class. In my case, it took me 16 years to finally win my first championship with Sun last year, I would have really been p.o.'ed if I had gotten screwed out of it by a dumb rule such as that. I understand why directors want the vote, but they are doing a disservice to the members by that. I agree with an earlier poster that the Class A champion should get a vote too, especially if they are an established corps who faithfully supports DCA such as Sun for example. Why do Class A corps get disrespected by not being allowed to vote? If I'm not mistaken, in 2007 there were more Class A corps competing at the DCA World Championships then there were Open Class corps.

Oops, Accidental double post.

Edited by sunbari1

I hate to say this, and this is sad, but go tell that to the 2007 Defending Class A Champions, The Sunrisers!!! Due to LACK of membership, and total re-organization, they sadly will NOT be defending their title this year..... :tongue:

Actually Frank, the reason Sun didn't go out wasn't because of lack of membership, yes we did have some low numbers, around the same we did last year at that time, but the main reason was 90% financial and only 10% membership. As for the championship recruitment factor, we did gain many new members this year, but unfortunately lost an equal number of veterans who couldn't march again for one reason or the other, plus the alumni who jumped in line last July to fill out our ranks. The reorganization was greatly needed to make the corps stonger for years to come. If the corps had gone out this year, it would have killed the corps. I will be looking forward to seeing Sun's return to the field in 2009. Though I will not be able to march with them any longer, I will be with them in spirit. God speed Sunrisers on your return to the field in 2009! I'll be rooting for you!

I agree with the folks who responded that it depends on the goals of the corps. I was with Sky when we won class A in 2002. It was a HUGE accomplishment considering our obstacles that year. However, our goal was to be in open class because that is where a corps with the history and tradition of the Skyliners wants to be. I loved the experience of being a champion and playing an encore. But if our score had been good enough to place us in the midst of the top 10 corps in DCA, I would have given it up in a minute because that would have given us a better platform to start from for 2003. A good recruitment team can probably put a positive spin on either scenario.

That said, considering how competitive class A has become, I don't think anyone should feel like less of an organization because they "only won class A." I watched a vast majority of the class A corps at prelims, and I thought that every show was very good. A small group has just as much ability to entertain as a large group. The important thing is that everyone has a venue to compete where the contest can be fair and apples are not being judged against oranges.